Waffle bar at South dining unit not to be discontinued

0
1
exc-5be106f84ae237da049f9181

Students have started a petition to bring the waffle bar back, which is currently at 186 signatures of the 1,000 goal. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The famous Thursday waffle bar offered at South dining unit has not been removed from the menu, contrary to a Facebook post on Buy or Sell and UConn Subreddit claiming it had been, according to culinary operations manager Robert Landolphi.

The student outrage from the claims has been channeled into a petition to bring the waffle bar back, which is currently at 186 signatures of the 1,000 goal.

Landolphi said the information is a misunderstanding that turned into a widespread rumor. The waffle bar is currently suspended temporarily due to issues with maintenance tools, but it is still on the menu.

“We had some issues with the waffle irons. We had two waffle irons, they burned out on us because they were older. We went and purchased two newer ones, and then one of them burned out,” Landolphi said. “So we shipped another one in because it is still under warranty, and it should be coming any day now.”

Landolphi said the waffle bar will be back and fully functional for Nov. 29 and Dec. 13 this semester. He added that, next semester, the bar will be offered weekly as opposed to biweekly.

“Next semester, it’s actually also going to be on the comfort line and it’s going to be every breakfast and lunch on Thursdays every week,” Landolphi said.

Students in the Facebook thread said they heard the move to get rid of the waffle station would be followed by the installation of a bar with healthier choices like vegetables, which Landolphi said is unrelated and untrue.

“The station where the waffle bar used to be was a pasta station. So that station became a vegan vegetarian bar that we’ve been running for a while,” Landolphi said. “It just so happened to be a coincidence that the waffles stopped when it [the vegan/vegetarian bar] came about – but it has nothing to do with taking it over since the waffles are moving to the comfort line.”

The Facebook comments said management had stated the reasoning behind discontinuing the waffle bar was because it “didn’t go along with the theme of South dining unit.” Landolphi said he is unsure of where the claims came from.

“All I know is that there was a manager named Susan who ran South from September until her retiring about four weeks ago,” Landolphi said. “We now have a new manager over there who is well aware of the waffle bar and what we are doing with it, so that might’ve been a comment by an old manager.”

Students who saw the Facebook post expressed concern about the possibility of the waffle bar being discontinued.

Owen Bonaventura, a fifth-semester finance major, said he isn’t aware of anyone who would prefer a healthier option over the waffle bar.

“Pretty much I saw a thing on the comment board in South where someone wrote about bringing the waffle bar back and the manager responded that they got rid of it because students preferred more healthy options like a grain bar and a yogurt bar,” Bonaventura said. “I don’t know which students he was referring to, but every student I’ve talked to about this wants the waffle bar.”

Landolphi said despite the backlash from students, he is pleased to know students enjoy the bar enough to create a petition to bring it back, had the rumors been true.

“I’m glad the students love it so much,” Landolphi said. “That’s awesome.”

Taylor Harton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.