Top Husky performances on the weekend

0
1
exc-5be0e921352f5325f9bdce63

Svea Boker attacks the ball in a home game against Liberty this year. She had a sensational weekend at the Big East tournament recently. (Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus).

Svea Boker, Field Hockey

The No. 1 ranked field hockey team beat Villanova 9-1 in the semifinal game in the Big East Tournament in Lynchburg, Virginia. Boker scored the first goal in the first four minutes of the game and was one of three on her team to score two goals each, giving UConn a Big East Tournament record for nine goals scored en route to a semifinal game. The Huskies went on to win their seventh Big East Tournament title Sunday in the championship game 5-3 against Liberty.

Adam Huska, Hockey

The junior goaltender blocked all 39 of the offensive shots Saturday against UVM in Burlington. Seventeen of those 39 shots were during the second half of the game to defend their 1-0 lead. The game was scoreless after the first half and remained scoreless for the Catamounts thanks to Huska. UConn improves to a 4-2-1 overall and 2-1-1 in the Hockey East.

Brendan Adams, Basketball

Freshman Adams was the leading scorer Friday for the Huskies in their exhibition game against SCSU, scoring 17 points. The team put up an impressive performance, edging out the Owls by 32 points and never letting them take the lead during the second half. Adams looks to be a strong contender this season and the team returns to Gampel Pavilion with their home opener against Morehead State on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Caylee Parker, Volleyball

The freshman led the volleyball team with 17 kills and 16 digs Saturday when they played USF in a tight 3-1 victory. The Huskies lost the second set, forcing the game to go into a fourth set. Parker has been a key player this season, and this win brought their record to 12-14.

Christyn Williams, Basketball

Freshman Williams earned her first career start with the Huskies, scoring 10 of the 96 points the team scored in their 96-30 win Sunday over Vanguard. Williams will be a strong competitor alongside her senior teammates Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier this season. They return to action next Sunday against Ohio State in Gampel Pavilion at 12 p.m..

Julia Dowd is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at julia.dowd@uconn.edu .