UConn Rescue offers emergency, first-aid training to students

0
0

The classes offer emergency and medical training to students, staff, faculty and community members around UConn, said Justin Pedneault, UConn Rescue President and Training Coordinator. ( Judgefloro/Wikimedia Commons )

The classes offer emergency and medical training to students, staff, faculty and community members around UConn, said Justin Pedneault, UConn Rescue President and Training Coordinator. (Judgefloro/Wikimedia Commons)

The University of Connecticut Rescue Club is offering public emergency medical training classes to students who are interested.

The classes offer emergency and medical training to students, staff, faculty and community members around UConn, said Justin Pedneault, UConn Rescue President and Training Coordinator.

“(T)he largest part of our organization is providing affordable, accessible, high-quality CPR/AED, First Aid and Bleeding Control classes to the greater university community,” Pedneault said.

UConn Rescue has been offering classes since April 2016, Pedneault, a seventh-semester nursing major, said.

“We discovered a very high demand and our classes were highly sought-after,” Pedneault said. “We have grown to meet the demand every semester and to date have offered over 1,500 seats in training classes and trained almost 1,000 community members.”

Pedneault said everyone should take the classes.

“Emergencies happen with no warning and can happen at anytime, anywhere and to anyone. I am a firm believer that the more skills and knowledge you have, the better prepared you are for these time-sensitive situations,” Pedneault said. “The knowledge from these classes truly can be the difference between life and death for someone, most likely your classmate, family member or close friend.”

Pedneault recommended taking the Stop the Bleed class. According to the club’s Eventbrite page, the free class is designed to teach anyone what to do during a life-threatening bleeding emergency before emergency services arrive.

The Eventbrite page for the club lists all five classes and descriptions of each class. The page also shows which classes are required for the School of Nursing. All classes besides Stop the Bleed are $40 or $42.50 and come with certifications if students want a pocket keychain mask for CPR.

Many students said they have enjoyed the classes, and some have renewed with UConn Rescue.

“I loved that the CPR class was reasonably-priced, offered on-campus and by fellow students who were also EMT,” Meghan Wood, a seventh-semester nursing major, said. “The students running the classes through UConn Rescue are incredibly responsible and knowledgeable, and the fact that the classes are available on campus is a huge plus. When it came time to renew that certification this November, I knew that I wanted to go through UConn Rescue again.”

Joshua Oculam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.oculam@uconn.edu.