The Fallen Independent: Oz Griebel post-election

0
0
exc-5be397ca758d46ab627c5533

While Griebel did not say if he was in direct support of either Stefanowski or Lamont, as he was focused on his own campaign during the election, he emphasized the importance of respecting Ned Lamont and fellow winners for the good of the state. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

Following the midterm election, conceding Independent candidate Oz Griebel remains says he hopeful, despite lagging behind opposition Bob Stefanowski (R) and governor elect Ned Lamont (D) as the two dueled in the gubernatorial race, leaving Lamont victorious by the morning.

“We all do what we can to contribute our energies to moving the state forward, to support the Lamont administration as he puts his transition team together, so he’s ready to roll on inauguration day,” Griebel said in a phone interview.

While Griebel did not say if he was in direct support of either Stefanowski or Lamont, as he was focused on his own campaign during the election, he emphasized the importance of respecting Ned Lamont and fellow winners for the good of the state.

“The people who won deserve our support so that they can do their jobs effectively and make things better for everybody in the state of Connecticut,” Griebel said.

Among speculation that his voter demographic shifted the race in a particular direction, Griebel replied that the intentions of his campaign were larger than the effect it had on his opposition.

“(The importance of my campaign) was dismissing the notion that the only way you can vote is Democratic or Republican, as well as how we talk about elections…how we fail to talk about working together for the common good,” Griebel said.

With a Lamont win, Griebel said he intends to support the elected officials, but remains “concerned” that the state of Connecticut is facing four more years of polarized politics.

“The ad campaigns (in this election) were very troubling, the lack of honest conversation,” Griebel said. “I am concerned as to how (those in office) are going to address these serious fiscal issues.”

Griebel’s concerns, he said, are less centered around his opposition and more focused on reforming the system.

“We were challenging the system to come together and work to support the asset base we have,” Griebel said.

Griebel was coy when asked if he plans to run again, but reiterated his continued support for government officials in Connecticut and plans to stay involved in some capacity. He said his campaign was successful, autonomous of a win or loss.

data-animation-override>
“I wouldn’t have run if I wasn’t convinced that the state was ready for it,” Griebel said, “The fact that over 50,000 people voted (for me) is a hopeful sign. They are prepared to vote for ideas that aren’t necessarily connected to a party line.”

Griebel’s interview concluded with his continued and profuse thanks to all the people who worked on and supported his campaign.

“(Although) we are very disappointed in this outcome, we sent our message effectively,” he said. “The endorsement of the Hartford Courant and other papers shouldn’t be taken lightly. We helped to create a change we can all build upon for a better Connecticut and a better country.”

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.