Cross Country: The Huskies head to the NCAA Northeast Regional Championship with two meets left

0
1

The UConn Cross country team heads north this weekend for the NCAA Northeast Regional Championship. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus.)

UConn men’s cross country is traveling to Buffalo, NY this Friday to face off against over 30 other schools in the NCAA Northeast Regional Championship. The Huskies’ last meet at the AAC Championship in New Orleans was a success, finishing third amongst all schools in the AAC. Now, they will be faced with a much tougher task as they must close out the season on a high note and hopefully perform well for the NCAA Championship in Louisville.

UConn did not run in last year’s NCAA tournament. They finished 11th out of the 37 participating schools and their season ended there. The Northeast Regional takes all schools in the Northeast that qualify and has them participate in a 10k run. They use a point-based system and whoever accumulates the lowest number of points by the end of the event wins. Last year, UConn finished with 285 points, tying Harvard University. Syracuse, who was ranked third in the nation at that time, won the championship easily with 28 points. Iona College finished in second with 48 points and Army West Point finished third with 218 points.

Coach Roy has decided to only run eight runners in the competition. Of course, stars Patrick Begley, who had an amazing performance at the AAC Championship, and Kyle Brackman are running. Freshman William Brisman, who Coach Roy has expressed great confidence in, has also gotten the invitation to the event Friday. There will be 39 teams running this year, making it even harder for UConn to finish in a top spot. Syracuse will again be running in the meet and is the obvious favorite to finish first.

The Huskies start time is at 12 p.m. Friday, right after the women’s cross country teams run.

Daniel Dashefsky is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at daniel.dashefsky@uconn.edu.