Women’s Hockey: UConn heads into big weekend with two conference home games

0
2
exc-5be50cc44d7a9c2e077e6b41

FILE-UConn will host a pair of conference rivals at the Freitas Ice Forum this weekend. (Jon Sammis/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team will return home to Freitas Ice Forum for the first time in almost three weeks to face off with a couple of Hockey East opponents: Boston University and the University of Maine on Friday night and Saturday afternoon, respectively.

The Huskies (5-4-1, 2-3-1 Hockey East) will play for the first time since their 3-0 loss last Thursday to Boston College when they take the ice this Friday for a game against the BU Terriers, who are 1-3-3 on the season. Puck drop is scheduled for 6 p.m.

They will follow that up with another game on Saturday at 3 p.m. against the Maine Black Bears, who currently have a 7-3 overall record and a 3-3 record in Hockey East play.

“Our expectation is to try to win and get four points, that’s it,” coach Chris Mackenzie said about the upcoming weekend. “We’ve prepared well, we’ve had a great week of practice and we’re excited to play BU and Maine. It’ll be a great test for us,” he added.

UConn and BU tied 1-1 in their first meeting this year back on Oct. 19. That game featured a lot of defense and good saves by both teams.

The Huskies will try to take advantage of a BU team that has a tough time scoring, averaging just 1.6 goals per game. The leading scorer Sammy Davis and Jesse Compher, who leads the team in points, are players to look out for on the Terriers.

This will be BU’s first game since Oct. 28, when they lost to Northeastern 2-1. The Terriers have yet to play a non-conference opponent this season.

The Huskies have not met up with the Maine Black Bears yet this season. UConn went 2-1 in their three meetings last season.

The Huskies will try to earn a win against a formidable Maine team that scores almost four goals per game and allows under two. Junior Tereza Vanisova leads the team with seven goals and 10 points. Vendula Pribylova is not far behind with nine points. Be on the lookout for those two players on Saturday.

The Black Bears are coming off a dominant 8-0 victory over Holy Cross last Sunday. They also have a game Friday night against the Providence Friars, so they could be 8-3 by the time they pull into Storrs on Saturday.

UConn will look to win back-to-back games for the first time since they started the season 3-0, taking a pair of key wins this weekend against conference foes.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.