HomeNewsTransfer student guaranteed admission program ‘very successful’

Transfer student guaranteed admission program ‘very successful’

The Guaranteed Admission Program has proved to be a helpful resource toward transfer students new to UConn. (File Photo/ The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Guaranteed Admission Program (GAP) has helped segway thousands of transfer students’ admissions to UConn over the past few years, UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

“UConn has a very successful Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP) that guarantees transfer students admission to UConn if they earn a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and an associate degree in an approved academic program,” Reitz said. “It also guarantees the GAP student can begin…his or her UConn studies in their junior year.”

In addition to GAP, UConn has created an online tool to check the transferability of credits earned at other institutions.

“To help students maximize the number of transferable credits, UConn for many years, has provided very specific and detailed information on its website to help them pick courses that line up with the content taught at the same courses at UConn,” Reitz said.

A January 2018 report released by UConn showed an average of 44.36 transfer credits accepted across the fall 2011 to fall 2015 cohorts of Storrs-based students. From Connecticut community colleges, 57.4 credits were accepted on average across the same cohorts. For students in these cohorts enrolled in GAP, an average of 61.3 credits were accepted.

“As you’ll see, students who participated in the GAP program while at other institutions had the largest number of transferable credits, which reflects the fact that they’re following the program’s guidance on which classes to take,” Reitz said.

Third-semester film and journalism double major Morgan Webb transferred to UConn this year from Keene State. Webb estimated around 20 of her 32 credits were accepted to UConn.

Losing 12 credits didn’t deter her from coming though, Webb said.

“I was kind of mad at first but then I realized that there’s nothing I could’ve done about it so I got over it,” Webb said.

Credits are rejected with reason, Reitz said.

“Credits that don’t transfer to UConn from other institutions usually fall into one of a few narrow categories: They’re from remedial courses, they were taken on a pass/fail basis with no grade assigned, or they were in subjects that aren’t offered at UConn (examples: hospitality and tourism management, culinary arts, etc.),” Reitz said.

UConn is committed to helping students transfer credits, Reitz said.

“UConn grants credit for courses that are taken at regionally accredited, degree-granting colleges and universities; are comparable in content and quality to UConn’s courses; and are completed with a minimum grade of C,” Reitz said.

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.