Men’s Basketball: UConn gets chance for a rebound game against Lafayette ahead of tough schedule

0
3

Jalen Adams drives to the basket against Arizona on Dec. 2, 2018. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

Time and Place: 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 5 at the XL Center in Hartford

Where to Watch: ESPNU, 50.2 on Storrs TV listings

Last Meeting: UConn won 110-48 on Nov. 25, 1994 at the then-Hartford Civic Center

UConn’s Last Time Out: The Huskies lost a close contest to Arizona at the XL Center by a score of 76-72

Lafayette’s Last Time Out: The Leopards took a tough 64-62 loss at home to Sacred Heart University on Dec. 2

Projected Starting Lineups: UConn (6-2) vs. Lafayette (2-5)

G: Jalen Adams vs. Justin Jaworski

Adams scored a team-high 21 points against Arizona, shooting 9-for-16 from the floor but only 2-for-7 from 3-point range and turned the ball over five times. He was good on both sides of the ball, also grabbing five boards and dishing out six assists. Jaworski had an atrocious day from the floor, netting only three points on a single 3-pointer; seven of his eight shot attempts were from beyond the arc.

G: Alterique Gilbert vs. Isaac Suffren

Gilbert struggled from the floor on Sunday, going 3-for-12 with eight points. The team leader in assists only had two on Sunday, as well as two rebounds. He took a hard fall early in the first half, but head coach Dan Hurley said he was fine and his performance had nothing to do with the fall. Suffren tied for team-high in points in Lafayette’s loss on Sunday, scoring 12 on 6-for-8 shooting.

G: Christian Vital vs. E.J. Stephens

Vital scored 11 points in the loss to Arizona, with three rebounds and three assists. He contributed seven out of UConn’s 19 turnovers, however, which was a significant reason the Huskies fell short. Stephens logged 29 minutes against SHU, scoring 10 points on 4-for-10 shooting with two rebounds and two assists.

C: Josh Carlton vs. Myles Cherry

Carlton played just 15 minutes against Arizona and did not have a great night — zero points on just one attempt, two turnovers and four fouls. He’ll still get the start on Wednesday, since Hurley is consistent with his lineups, but he struggled against a top-50 team and showed he still has work to do. Cherry had a very similar game, playing 16 minutes with no points, three rebounds and three turnovers. Like Carlton, Cherry is usually in the starting lineup and plays much better.

F: Tyler Polley vs. Lukas Jarrett

Polley hit a pair of crucial 3-pointers at the end of the Arizona game, but otherwise, he put together a mediocre performance of eight points on just six shot attempts, five of them coming from beyond the arc. He recorded three rebounds and four fouls as well. Jarrett didn’t play too well either against SHU, scoring six points on 2-for-6 shooting from the floor, but he recorded a team-high 11 rebounds.

From the game notes

Patriot League success: UConn has not lost a game to a current member of the Patriot League in 32 years, the last loss being to Boston University on Dec. 9, 1986. Hurley has a personal 7-3 record against the Patriot League and is 2-0 against Lafayette.

XL Center success: UConn is in its 43rd season at the XL Center and have a 267-98 record all-time in games there, including a 153-24 record against non-conference opponents. Wednesday’s game is the fourth of nine regular season games in Hartford, and so far, the Huskies are 2-1 there, their lone loss coming against Arizona on Sunday.

Last time out: Lafayette’s last matchup with UConn came in the 1994-95 season, where Ray Allen scored 23 points to lead the Huskies to a 110-48 victory. Accompanying Allen on the 1994-95 team was Donny Marshall, Travis Knight and Kevin Ollie. All four went on to play a combined 43 seasons in the NBA.

Stephanie Sheehan is the managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.