Women’s Basketball: Huskies Back for Spring Semester

0
2
exc-5c47c64cb8a0454731cebcdb

UConn Women’s basketball game on 1/9/19. (Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s basketball team will play their first game since the start of the 2019 spring semester on Wednesday night against SMU in Gampel Pavilion.

Freshman Christyn Williams said that while she enjoyed the break it was nice to get back into a routine.

“Having structure play a huge role… cause we just sit around all day and then come in and practice,” Williams said. “It’s good to watch Netflix all day but to be out walking and interacting with your friends and stuff, it plays a huge role.”

UConn (16-1, 5-0 AAC) is coming off an 88-67 win at Temple this past Saturday. The last time the Huskies played the Mustangs, they trampled them in an 80-36 victory.

The Mustangs are coming off a 43-55 loss at UCF this past Saturday.

This year, SMU (7-11, 1-4 AAC) boasts one of the youngest rosters in the nation with seven out of its 11 players being freshmen.

An important player to watch during the matchup will be SMU’s Alicia Froling. The 6-3 forward is back on the Mustang’s after redshirting last season due to an injury. As a sophomore and junior, Froling was named to the AAC Conference All-Second Team and, as a freshman, she was named to the AAC All-Freshman Team.

Froling’s return to the team has been noticeable as she is currently the SMU career leader in rebounds (1,068) blocks (189) and double-doubles (44). In a game earlier this season against Wichita State, Froling recorded an SMU single-game record with seven blocks. Currently, the Mustangs lead the conference in blocks per game with 4.6.

The leading scorer on the Mustangs is freshman Kayla White who is averaging 12.1 point-per-game.

On the UConn side it will be important to watch the bench’s performance throughout the game. In recent games the bench has shown inconsistencies in play quality with players getting varying playing minutes.

“Obviously, we don’t want to just play five players,” assistant coach Shea Ralph said. “Obviously, we understand that there are things that can happen, knock-on-wood where you have a kid that sprains and ankle or sick.”

Ralph said it will be crucial for the Huskies to develop those bench players to become more consistent.

“Hopefully, we’re making strides in that area where we get through the next couple of months and there’s a clear defined couple of players that we can bring off the bench that will help us get better out on the court,” Ralph said.

The Huskies’ matchup against SMU begins at 7 p.m. and can be watched on SNY or ESPN3.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.