2018 was a big year for music, 2019 may even be bigger

0
24

With artists like Cardi B, BROCKHAMPTON, Ariana Grande and many others releasing critically acclaimed record-setting albums, it is safe to say that 2018 was a good year for music.

There are many projects that are rumored and confirmed to be released this year that will surely make 2019 live up to all that 2018 had in store.

One of the most anticipated comebacks of 2019 is the return of Rihanna. After her 2016 album “Anti,” the singer took a break with music to focus on her groundbreaking Fenty makeup line as well as a lingerie line and a collaboration with Puma.

After one of her many fans asked about when new music is coming, Rihanna replied “2019.” on Instagram in December.

In terms of what this new music may sound like, the singer said in an interview with Vogue in June 2018 that she will go back to her Carribean roots with a reggae album.

A highly anticipated album for 2019 is the next installment of the J. Cole’s record company’s series of compilation albums, “Revenge of The Dreamers III.”

This third installment will be the most ambitious yet, with many artists that are not signed to Cole’s Dreamville record company featured on the project.

Artists like Vince Staples, H.E.R, Ski Mask the Slump God, Wale and T.I announced their involvement in the project by posting an invitation like graphic that read, “Your presence and participation is requested for the recording sessions of the upcoming compilation album Revenge of The Dreamers III.”

Producers like Kenny Beats, DJ Khalid, Mike WiLL Made-It and Tay Keith are some of the producers that will work on the project as well.

There is no definitive release date; but Cole went to Twitter in early January to announce that the recording session have been completed.

Ariana Grande has also officially announced that a new album by the same name of her number one single “Thank U, Next” will come out this year.

On Twitter, Grande has confirmed the title, track list, cover and hinted that it will come out Feb. 8.

We can expect that this will be her most personal candid project yet with this past year being very tumultuous for the 25-year-old singer, with the death of her ex-boyfriend Mac Miller, engagement to comedian Pete Davidson and subsequent breakup of the pair.

After problems with hackers, leaks and labels, British-pop icon Charli XCX has unofficially announced that a new album will be coming this year.

On the second day of the year the singer posted on Twitter that her new year’s resolutions were to make an album and release it and captioned the photo, “About time right?”

Although Charli has previously teased albums that never fully came to fruition, this time it seems like an album will be on the horizon.

She has been posting teaser videos in the studio since the original post as well as updates on where in the world she is currently writing and recording.

We can expect the album to be similar to futuristic pop songs she has released in the past year such as “Vroom Vroom,” for the album to to be produced by longtime collaborator SOPHIE and a possible Clairo feature as she posted the two of them in the studio together.

SoundCloud rap pioneers Ski Mask the Slump God and Juicewrld have announced in an XXL interview that a joint mixtape will come out in 2019 titled “Evil Twins.”

Ski Mask said in the interview that they pulled on their similarities and differences in their styles when recording the project.

Though no singles have been released, the duo have collaborated on Ski Mask’s most recent album “Stokely” on the electric and in your face song “Nuketown,” showing that their full-length collab will be one to look out for.

The soulful R&B singer Solange announced that she will also be releasing the follow up to her critically acclaimed album “A Seat At The Table” in an interview with The New York Times Style Magazine.

In the interview she said the sound will be a classic Solange mix of smooth airy hip-hop beats and jazz.

The dreamy old-school pop singer Lana Del Rey has announced at a benefit concert hosted by producer Jack Antonoff in early December that she will be releasing an album titled “Norman Fucking Rockwell,” named after the all-American illustrator from the 60s.

Though we don’t know when to expect it, we know that Antonoff (who has worked with artists like Taylor Swift and Lorde) will have a hand in production and that the songs will have a country vibe, according to the singer.

The most recent single she has released was an eerie yet sultry old-school country ballad, “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have–but I have it.”

It is highly rumored that rapper Donald Glover will release his final musical project as Childish Gambino this year as well.

This speculation comes after Glover reaffirmed his stance on his retirement from music and hinted that his next project will be his last in a backstage interview at the 2018 Grammys.

“I’m really appreciative of this. I’m making another project right now, but I like endings, I think they’re important to progress,” he said in the interview.

Whether this is his last as project as Gambino or last musical endeavor period, it is speculated that this next album will be a Chance the Rapper project, as they both have been teasing a collaboration since 2014.

Chance the Rapper also confirmed in June 2018 that he was working on six songs with Glover in a Complex interview.

There are a lot of questions surrounding Glover’s last project but what can be known for sure is that it will be an epic end of an era.

Synth-pop band The 1975 is releasing an album titled “Notes On A Conditional Form” this year as well.

In a Dazed interview, frontman Matty Healy said that despite the announcement being fairly close to the November release of their latest album “A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships,” it is not a sequel and it will pull inspiration from the UK garage rock scene.

The band’s manager Jamie Oborne said on Twitter that the ideal release date would be June 1, a date that was important to the creation of the name of the band.

Vampire Weekend frontman Ezra Koenig said in an Instagram post that the indie-rock band will release a double album of 18 songs.

Koenig also said that there are six singles, and that two will be released each month until the album comes out showing that the album will come out in March of this year.

At a concert early this month, R&B singer the Weeknd announced that “Chapter 6” is coming this year.

Though this may be the name of a new album, it is likely a working title in reference to the fact that this would be his sixth project.

The “Starboy” singer has not announced a release date or any single so far for the project.

Gladi Suero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gladi.suero@uconn.edu.