HomeNewsUSG plans transportation, parking initiatives for semester

USG plans transportation, parking initiatives for semester

The Undergraduate Student Government is currently working on parking issues, bus schedules and other programs to help benefit students throughout the semester. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The Undergraduate Student Government is currently working on parking issues, bus schedules and other programs to help benefit students throughout the semester.

“The most important thing people are going to be aware of is (USG’s) elections for next year’s president, vice president and comptroller,” Omr Taweh, USG’s director of public relations, said. “We also have senator positions up for grab every year.”

Taweh explained that the Student Services committee is having more events related to mental health awareness like last semester. The push for mental health awareness is new for USG, he said.

Taweh discussed the issues of changing bus route and parking complaints, taking students frustrations into account.

“Transportation is a big thing USG has been working on,” Taweh said. “We’re still meeting with the Transportation Advisory committee and the Transportation Advisory office to make decisions that are affecting students, whether it’s bus routes or parking.”

Taweh said that parking, which has been a heated issue for students since last semester, will only become more of a problem in the upcoming months. (http://dailycampus.com/stories/2018/9/13/admins-hear-out-student-parking-and-bus-complaints-at-public-forum-student-committee-planned-for-future-solutions?rq=parking )

“Parking is only going to get more complicated this semester because they are closing down some parking lots this semester for construction,” Taweh said. “That being said, we’re working with the administration to the best of our ability to continue making sure that at least the concerns of students are heard, though they are not addressed all the time, which is a problem we face as students.”

Taweh also mentioned Tampon Time, USG’s push for menstrual products in restrooms.

“We’re working with the university to get the initiative started up again but also to have them fund theses things like the fund toilet paper,” Taweh said. “USG is trying to make the university aware of the fact that they should be fronting the cost on this and not USG like we have in the past.”

Taweh further addressed the USG’s stance on undocumented students, and the developing plans the organization has for those in need of support on campus.

“Last year USG came out in support undocumented students in that they should be able to study at UConn freely, regardless of their status,” Taweh said. “ We do not have any formal plans for support yet, but it will be one of the things we will be discussing with the university. We will hopefully be working with the university to create plans in order to make sure that the voices of students are heard and experiences of students are realized in the policies set forth by UConn.”

Joshua Oculam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.oculam@uconn.edu.