Women’s Lacrosse: UConn drops season opener to Syracuse

0
1

UConn’s women lacrosse team opened up in the Carrier Dome. (Nick Hampton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team opened its season at the legendary, all-purpose Carrier Dome in Syracuse for the second-consecutive season on Friday afternoon. The only difference this time is that the Huskies are in a new conference, the American, instead of the Big East.

The result was essentially the same though, as the No. 13 Syracuse Orange (1-0) took down UConn (0-1) by a score of 18-6.

Syracuse got off to a hot start, scoring the game’s first eight goals in the first eight minutes. As a result, the Huskies found themselves playing from behind all game.

The deficit was 12-1 by halftime, and although UConn kept pace in the second half with five goals, the team never found themselves any closer than 11 points.

Senior Caitlin Leary and sophomore Abby Vetsch led the Huskies with two goals apiece, while sophomore Sydney Watson and junior Olivia Miles each scored once. Watson had the only UConn goal of the first half.

Despite letting in 15 goals, junior goalie Grace Beshlian made five saves before being replaced by sophomore Annie Carroll, who let up the remaining three goals and made one save.

Emily Hawryschuk had a huge game for the Orange, leading her team with four goals on five shots. Sam Swart and Morgan Alexander each recorded a hat trick as well with three goals each.

Aside from the goals, the Orange beat the Huskies in almost every category. UConn took just 13 shots compared to 27 by Syracuse. Also, UConn turned the ball over 20 times, three more than Syracuse. Finally, the Orange secured 19 ground balls to the Huskies’ 15. The only category that UConn had the advantage in was free-position shots, in which they held a 6-2 advantage and converted three of those opportunities.

The Huskies will continue their road trip to start the season when they take on Fairfield University on Wednesday afternoon. Fairfield won its first game of the season against Holy Cross on Saturday.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.