Women’s Lacrosse: UConn looks for first win against Fairfield

0
20

UConn’s Women’s Lacrosse team takes to the field against Cincinnati on Friday, Apr. 13. The Huskies played ruthlessly, dominating the Bearcats 20-8. (Photo by Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

After a tough loss to open the season last Friday, the UConn women’s lacrosse team will try to bounce back against in-state rival Fairfield on Wednesday.

The Huskies (0-1) were overpowered by Syracuse and lost in a blowout fashion 18-6 in their season opener. Head coach Katie Woods said that she expects a better performance from her team this time around.

“I think we got overwhelmed quickly and abandoned our game plan almost immediately,” Woods said about the Syracuse game. “Our communication needs to be higher all over the field and we need to play a better team game. We also need to play with confidence in our own abilities.”

Fairfield (1-0) won its season opener against Holy Cross by a score of 13-9 on Saturday. In that game, they were led by senior Taylor Mitchell and sophomore Jillian Winwood, who scored five and four goals respectively.

Coach Woods said that a key to this upcoming game will be containing the top scorers for the Stags.

“Our game plan tomorrow is to really shut down Fairfield’s top attackers, control the pace of play, and play a more patient offensive game,” Woods said.

If the Huskies are to be more successful, they will have to create more offensive opportunities and take more shots, as they took just 13 in their first game against Syracuse. They will also have to rely on a much better play from their defense and goaltenders, who allowed 18 goals on 27 shots in the loss.

Fairfield, on the other hand, had no issue creating offense in their season debut, as they took 39 shots in the win against Holy Cross.

Last season, when these two teams played, UConn came out on top in a tight 13-12 win, a game which marked Coach Woods’s 100th career victory.

This year’s UConn team will try to do the same in the midst of a three-game road trip, their longest stint of road games this season. Coach Woods said that even though playing on the road has its challenges, she actually likes having the team off campus.

“They’re more focused and there’s a different feel to it,” Woods said. “The most challenging part is that we’ve got some top teams on our slate that have and will test us, immediately.”

The Huskies will look to pass their next test on Wednesday against Fairfield to break into the win column for the first time.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu .