Tennis: Men’s team falls under .500 after losing both matches this weekend

0
1

The Huskies had a tough weekend, getting swept by Temple Saturday before losing again to the University of Delaware Sunday. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies had a tough weekend, getting swept by Temple Saturday before losing again to the University of Delaware Sunday. 

UConn was back at home for their first matchup against the Owls Saturday. Temple made quick work of them, though, sweeping the Huskies 7-0 by winning all six singles matches while also winning two out of the three doubles matches to complete the sweep.  

The competition, however, was closer than it seemed on paper. In the singles games, sophomore Yili Zheng forced a third set before falling to Temples No. 1 Mark Wallner. At No. 5, UConn senior Justin Warren could not finish the job either, losing 14-12 in a very intense third set.

On the No. 1 doubles courts, the duo of Zheng and senior Hank Hill put up a good fight against Temple’s Casas and Wallner. In the end, their efforts weren’t enough, as the Huskies lost 6-4 to the 37th nationally ranked doubles team in the nation. 

Sunday’s matchup was much better for the Huskies, but they were still unable to come out on top, losing 4-3 to Delaware. 

UConn was able to walk away with the doubles point after getting wins from the No. 2 and No. 3 courts, finishing the matches 6-0 and 6-4 respectively. They were unable to close it out on the singles courts though, as Delaware took four of the six singles matchups, sealing the victory after Luis Molina bested Holtmann on court No. 2. 

It was UConn’s match to lose though, as they allowed comebacks on the No. 2 and No. 4 courts after each winning their first sets. 

The Huskies have the toughest part of their schedule coming up as they head to Florida to take part in the Palm Beach Atlantic competition. They are going to need to turn around their play if they want to get on the right side of the winning percentage again. 

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu.