Softball: Huskies get swept in first conference series

0
43

The UConn softball team had another rough weekend, dropping three straight games to the UCF Knights to open up conference play. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team had another rough weekend, dropping three straight games to the UCF Knights to open up conference play.  

After defeating the Bethune-Cookman University Wildcats 8-0 on Wednesday on the back of a combined one-hitter from Katie Koshes and Kylie Gavitt and a 6-run first inning, the Huskies proceed to score just two runs in three games. 

UConn got shut out Friday in the first of the three games, losing 2-0. Sophomore Marybeth Olson, who has been one of the lone bright spots for the Huskies so far this season, pitched another good game. After giving up two runs in the bottom of the first, she held the Knights scoreless for the remainder of the contest. Unfortunately for her, UCF starter Alea White was better, only allowing two hits, two walks and striking out six through seven stellar scoreless innings.  

Things technically got better Saturday, as this time UConn only lost 2-1. Once again, pitching was not an issue, as starter Koshes only gave up two runs through six innings of work. However, they were unable to generate any offense, and when they finally did manage to score a run in the top of the seventh, it was too little, too late. The run did snap a 15-inning dry spell for the Huskies, with their last run coming in the third inning of their game vs, the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats. 

Sunday was perhaps the most heartbreaking of them all. Olson pitched another gem, holding the Knights to no runs and four hits through six innings. The Huskies even managed to grab the lead in the top of the sixth when Ashley Etsy score her second run of the weekend, this time after a Carli Cutler two-out single up the middle. However, in the bottom of the seventh inning, it all unraveled for Olson. After giving up three singles to three of the first four batters to load the bases, Olson would give up her fourth hit of the inning — another single. The runner on third would score, and after center fielder Etsy was unable to field the ball cleanly, the winning run would score as well.  

The Huskies will have their first home game of the season Wednesday when they host UMass Lowell, and then will continue conference play over the weekend with a three-game set vs. Wichita State in Kansas. 

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.