Softball: Huskies fall to UMass

0
7

UConn Women’s Softball played against University of Massachusetts with a final score of 3-13, resulting in a 13-19 overall score this season (Photo by Avery Bikerman/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team lost on Wednesday to the University of Massachusetts Minutewomen 13-3, dropping to 13-19 on the season while UMass improved to 15-14.

The Huskies had three runs on six hits; however, most of them came in the first two innings of the ball game. From the third inning on, the Huskies would record just one run and two hits (both coming in the fifth), as they were shut down by UMass starting pitcher Kenadee Rausch, who pitched a complete game.

UConn starting pitcher Katie Koshes struggled with her control throughout the game, walking the Minutewomen leadoff hitter to start the game as well as five more UMass batters throughout her 4.2 innings of work. This would be a common theme throughout the game, as Kylie Gavitt who came on in relief walked three in just 1.1 innings, and Carli Cutler also walked one in her only inning of work.

However, the true story of the game was how effective the Minutewomen were with the bat in their hands. UMass tallied 20 hits — 17 of which were singles — as they appeared to have the number of whoever UConn decided to throw out on the mound.

The 13 runs, all of which were earned, is the most UConn has given up in a single game this season.

Parts of the defense also struggled. Multiple times throughout the game, what should have been a routine pop-up dropped between three fielders, perhaps due to a lack of communication. This happened once right in front of home plate and another time on the outfield grass behind first base. Left fielder Reese Guevarra also got a bad break on a fly ball that went over her head, leading to an extra base hit and runs. While none of these were ruled as errors, they certainly didn’t do the pitchers any favors.

Now, this is not to say no one had a good game on the defensive side of the ball. Second fielder Alexis Lemus flashed some leather, making a couple of highlight reel plays including a spectacular diving stop and glove flip up the middle to nab the runner at second. However, when the opposing team tallies 20 hits, great defense can only do so much.

This was the first game of a five game homestand for the Huskies, who have a three-game set with the Memphis Tigers starting on Friday and a game vs. Boston College on Tuesday before hitting the road again.

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.