Men’s Tennis: Huskies gear up for home closer against Marist

0
2

UConn Tennis. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s tennis team is back in Storrs this weekend for their last match of the regular season. They are set to take on Marist College on April 6 in what should be a very tightly contested match up despite the Huskies’ recent struggles.

UConn (7-13, 0-2 The American) is currently on an eight-game losing streak that includes four sweeps, but the team is hopeful that they can turn it around and end the tough season on a high note.

No. 1 duo of sophomore Yili Zheng and senior Hank Hill will be crucial to the Huskies success this weekend. They have won only two of their last eight matches as a pair but are coming off of a strong win against Quinnipiac’s top duo. Meanwhile, Marist’s doubles teams have been very beatable as of late, particularly their number one pairing who has lost five of their last seven.

If Zheng and Hill can find the momentum they had earlier in the season, not only will it set the tone for the other doubles matches, but it will also give the two momentum heading into their singles matches where they rank No. 1 and No. 4, respectively.

Marist (7-8, 2-0 MAAC) is entering this game from the opposite end, having won four of their last five leading up to this matchup. Their strength lies in their singles matchups, particularly from their No. 1, Lars Schouten and No. 2, Christopher Gladden. Schouten won his previous four matches before suffering a loss last weekend against Navy while Gladden won his previous six, all in impressive fashion.

Since six of seven points in the match come from the singles matches, it’s key for the Huskies to be on their game and compete against Schouten and Gladden. If they can get a win from one of those matches, they will have the upper hand and can sneak away with the overall victory.

This will be the last regular season matchup for the Huskies, as the AAC Championship begins on April 18.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu.