Melissa’s Menu: Blueberry lemon buttermilk scones

0
3

(Photo via  delish.com )

(Photo via delish.com)

This week’s recipe is the perfect springtime treat. These blueberry lemon buttermilk scones are sugary and crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. The combination of lemon and blueberry is a match made in heaven — it’s a light, fresh balance of tart and sweet that is amazingly delicious. There’s something that makes scones feel sophisticated, but they’re actually really easy to make. The total prep time for this recipe is only about 10 minutes, so they can be quickly whipped up before brunch with friends or family. The best part about scones? They can be for breakfast or dessert. 

Ingredients  

For the scones 

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour 

1/2 cup of granulated sugar 

2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder 

1 teaspoon of kosher salt 

1/2 cup (1 stick) of cold butter, cut into cubes  

1 cup of blueberries  

1 teaspoon of lemon zest 

2/3 cup of buttermilk  

1 large egg, beaten 

1/2 teaspoon of almond extract 

1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract 

2 tablespoons of melted butter, for brushing 

1 tablespoon of coarse sugar, for sprinkling 

For the lemon glaze (optional) 

1/2 cup of powdered sugar 

Zest of one lemon 

Juice of 1/2 lemon 

3 tablespoons of heavy cream 

Directions 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and use your hands (or a pastry cutter) to cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbles are the size of peas. Add blueberries and lemon zest and toss to combine. Make a well in the mixture, then add buttermilk, egg and extracts. Mix with your hands until just combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into an eight-inch circle. Cut into eight triangles and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush scones with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Freeze for 10 minutes. Bake until lightly golden, for about 25 minutes. Let them cool for five minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, to make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest, juice and cream until smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones as desired. 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.