Second floor of the bookstore now an Urban Outfitters 

0
0
exc-5d6325eaa930480001b3d35c

“Urban Outfitters has opened shop in ten of our Barnes & Noble College stores, including UConn,” representatives from Barnes & Noble said in a statement.  Photo courtesy of Twitter

“Urban Outfitters has opened shop in ten of our Barnes & Noble College stores, including UConn,” representatives from Barnes & Noble said in a statement. Photo courtesy of Twitter

A portion of the second floor at the University of Connecticut’s main bookstore has recently been transformed into an Urban Outfitters retail clothing store. 

“Urban Outfitters has opened shop in ten of our Barnes & Noble College stores, including UConn,” representatives from Barnes & Noble said in a statement. “The shops are a result of a new partnership to bring exclusive, fresh new merchandise and products to our customers.” 

According to UConn Bookstore Group General Manager Leonard Oser, the shop, which has only been opened for a few weeks, is not just a pop-up, but rather will remain in the bookstore to offer students a retail clothing store on campus throughout the year. 

“The Urban Outfitters Campus shop is a permanent addition to the bookstore,” Oser said. “Of course, we always evaluate its importance to the students and react based on feedback. It’s been open less than a month and the student response has been terrific.” 

Public policy graduate student Steven Della-Giustina tweeted his anger that the store was not present when he was living on campus. 

”So the upstairs at the UConn Bookstore is now an Urban Outfitters, and I am low key mad this did not exist when I was an undergrad in Storrs,” Della-Giustina wrote. “Do you know how much money our collective class spent on shipping fees for Urban Outfitters, this’s an outrage.” 

Other students didn’t see the value in the new location, such as seventh-semester nursing student Tysia Glover. 

“UB [University of Bridgeport] gets free textbooks & UConn gives us Urban Outfitters?” Glover said in a tweet. “TRASH.” 

The new UConn store is part of a larger partnership between Urban Outfitters and Barnes & Noble to directly market to students on college campuses. 

“Urban Outfitters partnered with Barnes & Noble College last year to explore mutually beneficial opportunities for this one-of-a-kind collaboration,” the statement read. “This year’s program allows the UConn Bookstore and Urban Outfitters to bring the latest UO styles and trends directly to the fashion-forward college student, right at the heart of campus.” 

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.