The ultimate ‘feel-good’ back to school playlist 

0
4

It’s that time of year again: Back to school! Summer flew by quickly this year and it was packed with great hits from chart-topping artists. Whether you’re driving back to school, heading to class or want to jam to some tunes in your dorm room, we have a playlist just for you to start this school year. Plug in or turn your speakers up and escape for a bit.  

1. Jeremy Zucker – “comethru”: A lofty, acoustic song written and produced by Zucker. “comethru” is one of the many songs that he made in his parent’s basement, but is the first to surpass 100 million streams on Spotify. Zucker sings about his fear of leaving his college life and coming to terms with not feeling fine in adulthood. 

“The inspiration for the song was staying at home this past summer by myself, living and making music… And basically I was just lonely. And I felt like I needed someone to be around me to lift my spirits,” Zucker said in his Genius verified commentary. For many of us, a new school year means leaving family and friends back home. If you need a quick pick-me-up this song is right for you, since at some point in our lives we can relate to what Zucker is going through.  

2. Bazzi – “Soul Searching”: The voice behind the viral “Mine” song is back! On Aug. 9, 2019, Bazzi released his first mixtape titled, “Soul Searching.” Bazzi expressed his personal growth in this track. Bazzi sings, “Remember days, I would pray, there was no hope for me, yeah / Now I see majesty over me, yeah.” Through hard work and passion, Bazzi made a name for himself.  With singles such as “Paradise” and “Beautiful” featuring Camila Cabelo with over 100 million streams, Bazzi proved that he is not a one hit wonder. Whenever you’re feeling discouraged, listen to this song and remember who you are. You got this! 

3. Lizzo – “Juice”: There’s no denying that Lizzo took over 2019. The multi-talented singer released her debut album “Cuz I Love You” back in April. Her iconic BET Awards performance is one of the many reasons why people love Lizzo. She radiates self-confidence and fearlessness. “Juice” is an upbeat, retro-funk song that will have you feeling good. I guarantee you will have this song on repeat.  

4. Khalid – “Right Back”: The sixth track off Khalid’s sophomore album, “Free Spirit” will make you want to get up and dance! There is a nostalgic feel to this song that will have you reminiscing about your best summer days.  

5. Chance the Rapper ft. Randy Newman – “5 Year Plan”: This is definitely a song that students can relate to. As the new semester approaches, we make plans and goals that we want to accomplish. In “5 Year Plan,” Chance reflects on his aspirations. He wants success but also to feel content with himself. This song is for anyone who is chasing their dreams. Whether it is getting through the semester, making the Dean’s List or passing your MCAT exam, listen to this song if you feel like your goal is unreachable. “5 Year Plan” will motivate you through this semester, so don’t give up! 

6. Chris Brown and Drake – “No Guidance”: Chris Brown and Drake put their past behind to collaborate and release this summer hit! “No Guidance” was the first single off of Brown’s latest album, “Indigo.” With over 100 million streams, Brown’s single became an internet meme after the music video featured a dance battle between Brown and Drake. This long awaited collaboration did not disappoint and it will definitely make you want to dance battle your friends.  

7. Billie Eilish – “Bad Guy”: At just 17 years old, Billie Eilish has taken over music. “Bad Guy” has over 700 million streams on Spotify, making it the most streamed song from her “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?” debut album. This song is unique and has a distinct, addictive beat.  

Thumbnail photo by Malte Wingen on Unsplash

Cindy Lam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at cindy.lam@uconn.edu.