Thursday, April 25, 2024
HomeSportsMen’s Soccer: Huskies look to bounce back against Yale 

Men’s Soccer: Huskies look to bounce back against Yale 

The UConn Huskies lost to Fairleigh Dickinson University 1-2 on Friday after the Knights scored back to back in the 1st half. They look to bounce back in their next game against Yale on Sept. 11 in New Haven, CT.  Photo by Eric Wang / Daily Campus

The UConn Huskies lost to Fairleigh Dickinson University 1-2 on Friday after the Knights scored back to back in the 1st half. They look to bounce back in their next game against Yale on Sept. 11 in New Haven, CT. Photo by Eric Wang / Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team is headed to New Haven this week to face off against the Yale Bulldogs. This will be the team’s second road game of the season and will begin a two-game road stretch for the Huskies. 

The Bulldogs (0-0-2) have yet to get anything going for them, tying Syracuse 1-1 to open the season before adding another double overtime draw against Colgate. As for UConn (2-1-0), after suffering a 2-1 loss against Fairleigh Dickinson University last Friday, they will look to regain the momentum they had to start the season. Head Coach Ray Reid didn’t give the loss a second thought, instead looking immediately to the next game.  

“We’ve gotta get back to winning, gotta focus on Yale and, ya know, just do the little things right,” Reid said. 

Against Fairleigh Dickinson, the Huskies once again held control for most of the game. They outshot the Knights 12-5, including an 18-minute stretch in the second half where they got off six shots and took eight corners in a desperate attempt to score the equalizer. Reid realized the lack of finishing was a big issue during the match. 

“We’ve gotta be a little bit better in the final third,” Reid said. 

A lack of scoring has not been a problem in the season overall, as the All-Star duo of Jordan Hall and Dayonn Harris sit at the top of college soccer in goals and assists respectively. This Huskies offense is a high-powered one, and with Hall and Harris leading the attack, it should continue to be as we get deeper into the season. 

The Bulldogs have a strong offense of their own, led by midfielders Miguel Yuste and Mark Winhoffer. Both players have scored and assisted on all three of Yale’s goals so far and look to be a powerful threat in the middle of the field. Despite this, Reid has the same simple game plan that has earned him so many wins in his career. 

“[We want] guys to play hard, stay organized and attack,” Reid said. 

Being able to control the ball on both sides of the field will be the key to the Huskies victory this Wednesday. The game kicks off at Reese Stadium in New Haven at 7 p.m. 

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu.