Storrs to Farmington daily shuttle discontinued 

0
1

The shuttle service will now offer a two-day shuttle service.  File Photo / The Daily Campus

The shuttle service will now offer a two-day shuttle service. File Photo / The Daily Campus

UConn transportation has discontinued its daily shuttle services between the Storrs and Farmington campuses as of May 31.  

“In spring 2019, UConn parking and transportation services determined that ridership on the Storrs-Farmington shuttle was too low to justify its expense,” Caroline McGuire, director of Undergraduate Research, said.  

The shuttle service will now offer a two-day shuttle service, covered by the office of the Provost, McGuire said.  

“Offering two-day service rather than five-day service will save $33,600 this academic year,” McGuire said.  

For the first three weeks, only students part of the Office of Undergraduate Research’s Health Research Program could use the shuttles.  

“Now that we have established that there is some unused capacity of the shuttle, we are seeking to add students to the list of authorized rides,” McGuire said.  

Students with other commitments at UConn Health can sign up for the shuttle service. 

“Students interested in using the shuttle service can complete the survey online to indicate which shuttle runs they wish to use and how frequently they plan to use the service,” McGuire said.  

The shuttle bus can carry 14 passengers on the minibus used for the service.  

“14 passengers is the maximum for any shuttle run, which are from Storrs to Farmington or Farmington to Storrs, three times each per day,” McGuire said.  

If the shuttle buses are full, another option for students is to ride CTtransit using a U-Pass.  

“If shuttle capacity is exceeded, CTtransit is available between the campuses, but those itineraries do take longer because they are less direct,” McGuire said.  

Naiela Suleiman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at naiela.suleiman@uconn.edu.