Dog Pound Challenge up next for UConn Volleyball

0
1
exc-5d82ebb9b78dc7561f98e4c4

The Volleyball team defeats Hartford 3-0 on the final day of the Dog Pound Challenge. Their record is now 4-2. The Huskies will be away for the Villanova Classic.  Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus

The Volleyball team defeats Hartford 3-0 on the final day of the Dog Pound Challenge. Their record is now 4-2. The Huskies will be away for the Villanova Classic. Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus

Gampel Pavilion will be the site of the fifth annual Dog Pound Challenge at the University of Connecticut. The UConn women’s volleyball team will kick off the tournament against Holy Cross in the first and only game scheduled for Thursday evening. Dartmouth and Providence will also be attendees at the tournament.  

The Huskies (3-6 0-0) look to redeem themselves after a tough tournament in Ohio, where they lost three matches by a score of 0-3 each time. While it was a tough time on the road, the Huskies were able to evaluate their strengths and weaknesses to ensure a better result in this upcoming tournament.  

The Huskies were unable to gain an offensive rhythm in Ohio, but are sure to come back fierce on their home court. With the young faces on the Huskies’ roster, there’s much to look forward to, especially among the talented freshman class. From Jasmine Davis to Aset Baker-Falealili to returning players such as Caylee Parker and Courtney Morris, the Huskies are more than prepared to take on the challenges this tournament may bring. 

Photo taken from 2017 Dog Pound.  Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus

Photo taken from 2017 Dog Pound. Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus

Parker has executed time and again on offense with the assistance of setters like Morris, and is also skilled in assuming her position on the defensive end. Davis and Baker-Falealili have gone beyond the expectations of freshmen and have earned much playing time on the court. Davis has already been able to attain two double-doubles in her college career and continues to impress as the season progresses. 

The Huskies will face off against Holy Cross at 7 p.m. The event will also raise money for animal shelters and hold pet adoptions outside Gampel Pavilion prior to the start of the game. 

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu.