Volleyball: Huskies sweep Dog Pound Challenge in weekend of exciting matchups 

0
2

The UConn women’s volleyball team celebrates their win. The team won a series of difficult games against Holy Cross, Dartmouth and Providence College.  Photos by Sofia Sawchuk / The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s volleyball team celebrates their win. The team won a series of difficult games against Holy Cross, Dartmouth and Providence College. Photos by Sofia Sawchuk / The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s volleyball team went three-for-three at the Dog Pound Challenge in Gampel Pavilion this weekend, but it was no easy sweep for the Huskies. Coming off a string of three 0-3 matches on the road one week earlier, the team brought a fighting spirit that would not relent amidst lost sets or point deficits. 

Thursday proved to be a riveting start to the Dog Pound Challenge as the Huskies (6-6) triumphed over the Holy Cross Crusaders (2-10) in a five-set match. The Huskies struggled to hang onto Holy Cross in the first set, falling to the Crusaders with a final set score of 25-14. However, UConn was back on its feet for the rest of the match, crushing the Crusaders 25-12 in the second set and taking Sets 3 and 5 by a margin of four points each. 

The team carried victory with it into Friday evening when it battled Dartmouth (3-5) and emerged 3-1. After coming out on top of a close first set, UConn avenged its 25-17 second set loss by suppressing Dartmouth 25-10 in Set 3. The Huskies secured the win by keeping Dartmouth at an arm’s length throughout the final set. UConn showed its dominance the most in this match as 28.5% of its total attempted attacks resulted in points (compared to Dartmouth’s 18.4%).  

On Saturday, UConn earned its third win in a match against the Providence College Friars (5-8). Despite being able to decrease an eight-point gap to a one-point gap in the middle of Set 1, the Friars held the lead. The Huskies put themselves back in the game by turning a six-point deficit into a four-point lead in the second set. UConn consistently ruled Set 3, but lacked steady defense in Set 4 as Providence had its most successful set of attacks. The atmosphere changed in the fifth set when the Huskies broke away and finished 15-7, becoming the Dog Pound champions. 

Genna Florig, Courtney Morris and Kennadie Jake-Turner were named to the all-tournament team. Florig, a redshirt junior middle blocker, counted 36 kills and 13 blocks this weekend. Morris, a redshirt sophomore setter, provided the team with a total of 120 assists. Jake-Turner, a sophomore middle blocker and rightside hitter, added a total of 11 blocks and 24 kills to her record. Another notable performance this weekend was by sophomore outside hitter Caylee Parker who had 46 total kills. 

Overall, the team delivered a strong finish to its nonconference matches. The Huskies begin their conference season in The American this Friday, Sept. 27 on the road versus UCF. 

Judah Shingleton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at judah.shingleton@uconn.edu