Around the American Soccer: UConn upset, Cincinnati wins, conference matches start

0
0
exc-5d8c05566e155e1916c23012

UConn Men's Soccer suffers a hard fought 2-3 defeat to Columbia on Friday. This was the first match that the Huskies played at Dillon Stadium, and senior Jordan Hall (No. 9) scored his eighth goal of the season.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

UConn Men’s Soccer suffers a hard fought 2-3 defeat to Columbia on Friday. This was the first match that the Huskies played at Dillon Stadium, and senior Jordan Hall (No. 9) scored his eighth goal of the season. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team had a heartbreaking 3-2 defeat on Friday against Columbia, where Jordan Hall scored the first goal for the Huskies in the 26th minute, marking his eighth of the season, and defender Robin Lapert scored the second goal in the 81st minute, marking his first. The Huskies had a chance to make it 3-3 in the final seconds of the match; however, the Lions managed to play tough defense and gained their first win which brought UConn down to No. 6 in the American Athletic Conference standings. The Huskies play their first conference match away against USF on Friday. 

SMU continued their perfect record on Saturday, defeating Denver 2-1 in overtime. The match was scoreless until the 83rd minute, where Denver’s Josh Drack put the ball in the back of the net from outside the penalty box. It didn’t take long for the Mustangs to score the equalizer however as Garret McLaughlin scored in the 89th minute, marking his sixth goal of the season. In overtime, SMU was quick to score the golden goal as defender Eddie Munjoma scored in the 93rd minute to continue their 7-0-0 record and stay on top of the conference standings. The Mustangs play their first conference fixture away against Tulsa on Saturday. 

UCF still continues to trail SMU in the No. 2 spot after defeating FGCU 4-1 away last Wednesday and USC 2-0 at home on Sunday. The Knights found themselves to have a 3-0 lead at the end of the first half against FGCU as midfielder Gino Vivi scored in the third minute followed by forwarding Cal Jennings scoring a brace in the 29th and 36th minutes. The Knights conceded a goal in the 52nd minute by forwarding Shak Adams, though it was no problem for UCF as Vivi scored his brace in the 73rd minute, sealing the match for them. On Sunday, Jennings scored once more for the Knights in the sixth minute, marking his eighth goal of the season. Midfielder Louis Perez followed suit in the 27th minute and scored the second goal of the match, marking his first goal of the season. The Knights will face Temple at home in their first AAC match on Friday. 

Cincinnati finally won their second match of the season against Bowling Green 4-3 in overtime on Saturday after a four-game losing streak. Midfielder Shevon Stewart scored the first goal of the match for the Bearcats in the third minute; however, the Falcons managed to take the lead soon after, as defender Achille Robin scored a penalty in the 14th minute followed by midfielder Chris Sullivan scoring in the 17th minute. It was no problem for Cincinnati as Creggton Carlton tied the match in the 35th minute. In the second half, the Falcons once more gained the lead in the 58th minute from midfielder Kale Nichols, though Cincinnati managed to make it 3-3 due to forward Darryn Commissiong scoring in the 89th minute. It didn’t take long for the Bearcats to seal their long-awaited victory as defender Donovan Segree scored in the 92nd minute. Cincinnati will play their first conference match at home against Memphis on Saturday. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.