Men’s soccer set to take on Memphis 

0
0
exc-5d9698bb3ecd9e70ba87fe58

The UConn men’s soccer game against Memphis is set for 3 p.m. Friday. The Huskies are desperately looking for a win to turn their season around.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer game against Memphis is set for 3 p.m. Friday. The Huskies are desperately looking for a win to turn their season around. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team will look to break a three-game winless streak as they take on the Memphis Tigers Friday at 3 p.m. at Dillon Stadium in Hartford. The game was originally set for 7 p.m. but was rescheduled to the afternoon after the University received guidance from the Connecticut Department of Public Health as it pertains to the mosquito-borne EEE virus.  

The Huskies settled for a 2-2 draw in their last outing at Dartmouth Tuesday night. Senior forward Jordan Hall opened the scoring in the first half with his team-leading ninth goal, and junior midfielder Ahdan Tait doubled the UConn lead in the 56th minute. Dartmouth quickly responded with goals in the 61st and 63rd minute to pull even. Neither team was able to generate a clear scoring chance in either of the two ensuing overtime periods, and the Huskies earned a disappointing tie.  

American Conference foe Memphis will pose a tough challenge for UConn. The Tigers are 6-2 and have won four straight games, including a 3-2 win at No. 11 Xavier on Sept. 14 and a 3-1 triumph at American Conference opponent Cincinnati on Sept. 28. Senior midfielder/forward Sam Ashton leads the Memphis attack with eight goals and two assists, while junior midfielder Christoforos Kourtis (two goals, three assists) and freshman Jovan Prado (three goals, one assist) each have recorded seven points. The Tigers have been strong defensively, allowing just 11 goals so far this season.  

Although UConn is winless in its last three games, the Huskies have been able to find offensive production from players other than Hall, their leading scorer. Senior midfielder Dayonn Harris, junior defender Robin Lapert and Tait have notched goals to ease Hall’s burden. The Huskies will need a team effort in the attacking final third if they are to get back to winning ways against the Tigers and will need to tighten up defensively, having allowed seven goals over their last three outings.   

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.