Women’s Ice Hockey: Huskies Sweep LIU 

0
13

The UConn Huskies won against the UVM Catamounts 3-2 on Feb. 2, 2019 after making a 2 goal comeback in the third period. The team started its season off strong against LIU this week.  Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus.

The UConn Huskies won against the UVM Catamounts 3-2 on Feb. 2, 2019 after making a 2 goal comeback in the third period. The team started its season off strong against LIU this week. Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s ice hockey team started its season off strong against LIU. As the Huskies dominated the rink at Islanders Iceworks, they played two games against the Sharks in which they won 4-0 in the first game and 6-1 in the second. 

UConn’s women’s ice hockey (2-0) welcomed LIU (0-2) to Division I competition as they competed in their debut game. The Huskies held the Sharks to one point over this weekend’s competition. The Sharks secured their first point late in the third period of the second game of the weekend with freshman Carrigan Umpherville. Overall, the Sharks are a young team that gave the Huskies a fight on the defensive end. LIU’s freshman goalkeeper Mia McLeod had 49 saves after facing 53 shots on the goal in Game One. The four shots missed allowed the Huskies to triumph at the sound of the final buzzer. 

The Huskies limited the Sharks to a mere nine shots in the first game. Beginning the third period up by three points, there was a continued opportunity for the Sharks to get back in the game. But with the tough defense that the Huskies played, their final point of the game was secured a minute into the third period, although the Huskies had the opportunity at 19 more possible shots. 

The defensive ends for both teams were superb. The Sharks held the Huskies scoreless for 15 minutes into the first period of Game One, while the Huskies held the Sharks scoreless for the entirety of the game. In fact, junior Morgan Wabick executed the Huskies first points of the weekend in which she was fed the puck by her twin Taylor Wabick who initiated the play. 

In the second matchup between the teams, the Huskies had a general feel for how the Sharks were going to attack after already playing Game One. The Huskies came out at full strength in the first period, scoring three points and scattering the last three throughout the remaining two periods. Within the second matchup, the Huskies managed to have five players find the back of the net, adding to the stats sheet and assisting the team in securing a win. 

The Huskies will return home to Freitas Ice Forum for their next matchup against UNH. They will look to keep the momentum going and remain undefeated as they take on new competition. 

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu