Women’s Soccer: Goal-less streak continues in loss to Tulsa 

0
2

The Huskies lost to the Cincinnati Bearcats 0-1 on Sept. 29 in the first overtime after no goals were scored in the first two halves. This goal-less streak continued this week with their loss to Tulsa.  Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus.

The Huskies lost to the Cincinnati Bearcats 0-1 on Sept. 29 in the first overtime after no goals were scored in the first two halves. This goal-less streak continued this week with their loss to Tulsa. Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s soccer team has not scored in the 363:14 of play that made up its last four games. In that time, they have given up nine goals. 

UConn (4-7-1, 0-4-0 The American) switched things up from kickoff, as forward Duda Santin found her way on the bench as Regan Schiappa and Yamilee Evillard got starting nods. Santin still led the team in shots, though, with six total and two on goal.  

UConn held strong for much of the game, before conceding in the 73rd minute to Tulsa’s Reagan Whitlow from 14 yards out. Tulsa struck again in the 79th as Valiree Morris slotted one in unassisted, after assisting Whitlow’s goal just minutes earlier.  

It’s not like UConn didn’t have the opportunities, they dominated the shot column, 16-8, but couldn’t slip one by Tulsa’s goalkeeper Mica MacKay. They even put more shots on goal than they have the rest of the season, with nearly 44% of their shots on target — up from a 37% season percentage. 

Alongside Santin, forward Kess Elmore also put up a volume of shots with five and three on target. Three of those came in the first half, when UConn was having some difficulty getting forward.  

Randi Palacios showed her worth again, with her third penalty save of the season in the eighth minute in five tries. Freshman Emma Zaccagnini committed a foul in the box that led to the penalty save on a shot from Whitlock. She finished the game with four saves. 

UConn struggled to play cleanly, committing 14 fouls throughout the game and getting handed two yellow cards as Jessica Mazo was booked in the 50th minute and Elmore was booked in the 70th.  

This is UConn’s fourth straight conference game without a goal, and fourth straight loss in the conference. The season is winding down and there is not much time left before Oct. 31, when UConn plays their last regular season game against Temple. 

UConn’s defense gave the offense ample time to get a lead, holding strong for 72 minutes. In the first 72 minutes, the Huskies took 10 shots before letting up their first goal.  

For UConn to have a shot at this year’s conference tournament, they need to start getting into the win column, plain and simple. They have taken the fifth most shots in The American, with 35, but are the only team not to score. There are only five more games to play in the conference: It’s win now or win never. 

Mike Mavredakis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu. He tweets @mmavredakis.