Find your ‘Friends’ after hearing Chapel’s newest single

0
67

With a sound reminiscent of The 1975, indie pop-rock duo Chapel has returned to the scene with their new single, “Friends.” The song describes neglecting relationships with the people you care about when trying to juggle other aspects of life. 

“In your 20s, it’s easy to get caught up in the ambitions you have for your life. I realized I was making excuses and bailing on a lot of people, not holding up my end of relationships,” vocalist Carter Hardin explained to Billboard. “‘Friends’ is an apology because, at the end of the day, no dreams are worth having if you don’t have people there with you.” 

Hardin sings the first verse,  “Tell me what you think about me / I missed Josh’s wedding last week / Your girl seems annoyed, we don’t speak / I’m a mess, send my apologies” to show listeners the lack of attention he pays to friendships.  

In the music video, the song starts with Hardin and drummer Kortney Grinwis, who seems to be his last friend, having a picnic in the park. Hardin sings the first verse over soft piano chords until the chorus kicks in with Grinwis’ drums and Hardin’s guitar riffs. 

Throughout the music video, viewers watch Grinwis laugh and socialize well with others. Whether it’s getting a haircut or entering a sauna, Hardin ends up alone and without any friends. 

“I’m all alone / And I just need some f***in’ friends / Greek Theater’s closed / Ain’t got a thing to do / I’m all alone / And I just hit up all my friends,” Hardin woefully sings in the chorus. 

In the second verse, Hardin further references how he’s neglected his friends once more by singing “Jordan moved away last fall / Got a spot with some dude named Paul / Yeah, I thought I knew it all / Should’ve known when I dodged your call” and later asking “Are we boys no more? / I’m not sure” in the pre-chorus.  

“Friends” is the first new song fans have heard from Chapel since their debut EP “Sunday Brunch” was released in November 2017. The song preserves the band’s sound by continuing to incorporate synthesizers amongst Grinwis’ pop drums and Hardin’s groovy guitar.   

On Twitter, Hardin mentioned how great it feels to finally have his voice heard in reference to the song. He also expressed excitement for Chapel’s new album, saying that it is him being “100% vulnerable [and] soft which is not like [him].” 

Although the song only has two short verses, it’s lyrically relatable and the chorus more than makes up for it by being very catchy. Chapel leaves fans excited for the next album, as the song is a certified bop with its catchy riffs, fun synths, rhythmic drums and overall well-produced sound. 

Rating: 4/5 

Brandon Barzola is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.