Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeNewsUConn Family Weekend Features Food Trucks, Sports, and Fun

UConn Family Weekend Features Food Trucks, Sports, and Fun

Families created waves for artists Susan Hoffman Fishman and Elena Kalman's interactive public art project, The Wave, celebrating water on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2018 for Family Weekend at the William Benton Museum of Art.  Photo by Kim Nguyen/The Daily Campus

Families created waves for artists Susan Hoffman Fishman and Elena Kalman’s interactive public art project, The Wave, celebrating water on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2018 for Family Weekend at the William Benton Museum of Art. Photo by Kim Nguyen/The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut’s “Family Weekend” begins this Friday and continues through Sunday. 

Registration officially closed for the event. UConn families that did not register in advance can still attend Family Weekend, but cannot purchase admission to the specialty meals offered, according to the Family Weekend webpage

Highlight events from Friday include the division one field hockey game against Providence College at 3 p.m. at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex, women’s softball at 4 p.m. at the Burrill Family Field and women’s volleyball vs. Cincinnati at 7 p.m. at Gampel Pavilion. 

The Food Truck Rally will take place on Sat., Oct. 12 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the lawn behind the Student Union. No advance purchase is necessary; all trucks accept cash and card.  

The trucks in attendance will be: The Whey StationMunchie’s, Lizzie’s Curbside, Uncle D’s Blazin’ BBQNoRA Cupcakes, UConn’s Food for Thought and Dairy Bar Too.  

Comedian Hasan Minhaj is scheduled to perform on Sat., Oct. 12 at 8 p.m. in the Jorgenson theatre. Tickets went on sale in Aug. 1 and are already sold out for the event.  

Highlights on Sunday include Women’s Volleyball vs. East Carolina at 12 p.m. at Gampel Pavilion and Women’s Field Hockey vs. Delaware at 12 p.m. at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. 

UConn’s Homecoming Parade will also take place on Sunday at 12 p.m. on Hillside Road between the Student Union and the UConn Bookstore. This year’s parade theme is “Streaming Storrs,” which will have students driving decorated golf carts and dressing up in costumes to match a popular TV show.  

Following the parade will be the Homecoming Carnival from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the South Campus Lawn. There will be carnival rides, games, obstacle courses and food to finish out Family Weekend.  

For questions about registration, specialty meals, events, or anything else pertaining to Family Weekend, please contact the Student Activities – Major Events & Programs Office at 860-486-3423 or programs@uconn.edu (preferred). 

For questions about the Hasan Minhaj comedy show at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, please contact the Jorgensen Center Box Office at 860-486-4226. 

For questions about the Alumni Breakfast, please contact the UConn Office of Alumni Relations at 888-822-5861. 

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.