Melissa’s Menu: Apple pie bars 

0
7

Apple pie bars are the perfect desert to welcome the autumnal season.  Photo by    LuAnn Hunt    on    Unsplash

Apple pie bars are the perfect desert to welcome the autumnal season. Photo by LuAnn Hunt on Unsplash

There’s something inviting about apple pie — the sweet, gooey filling, the flakey crust and the warm notes of cinnamon all come together so well. It’s the perfect fall dessert. This week’s recipe takes everything you love about apple pie and turns it into a smaller, easier to eat dessert: Apple pie bars. These bars still have all of the familiar components of apple pie without the fuss of rolling out crust or trying to create a fancy lattice design. The added caramel, pecans and crumb topping that aren’t in regular pies complement the recipe well and add an extra layer of crunch and sweetness. They are perfect for large groups or parties since they are easy to make and easier to serve than traditional pie.   

Ingredients 

For the crust: 

Cooking spray 

1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, softened 

1/2 cup of granulated sugar 

1/4 cup of packed brown sugar  

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour 

1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt  

For the filling: 

6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced  

2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice 

1/2 cup of packed brown sugar  

1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon 

1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract 

1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt 

For the topping: 

1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour 

1 cup of chopped pecans 

1 cup of packed brown sugar  

1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt 

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) of butter, melted 

Caramel, for serving 

Directions 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9-by-13 inch pan with parchment paper, then grease with cooking spray. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix until just combined. Press into prepared pan, about half an inch up the sides. Bake until the crust is lightly golden, which should take about 20 minutes. In a large bowl, toss apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt together. Spread apples over crust. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, brown sugar and salt. Stir in melted butter until coarse clumps form. Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples and bake until the top is golden and apples are soft, about one hour. Let it cool for at least 15 minutes, then slice into squares and drizzle with caramel before serving.

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.