Commuter students, celebrate a week of you  

0
9

Popular student events held in the past running this year include a demonstration on car maintenance.  Photo courtesy of Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services

Popular student events held in the past running this year include a demonstration on car maintenance. Photo courtesy of Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services

commuter_720.jpg

No matter how long your drive is to campus as a commuter student, it still is a drive to campus and all commuters should be celebrated for that. At least, as a commuter student myself, I must agree with this viewpoint. Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services seek to celebrate these students with its annual commuter event, this year called “Welcome to Fabulous Casino.”  

All the events are held in convenient locations for commuter students, Ashley O’Connell, Assistant Director for Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services, said. Those locations include Fairfield Way and the Student Union. 

Popular student events held in the past running this year include a demonstration on car maintenance. “We also had an ice cream afternoon sendoff on Monday in C-Lot that was a hit,” O’Connell said. The event overall has been running for the past eight years.  

The staff enjoys planning events for the students, O’Connell said. “We always take the feedback of our students and try to collaborate with other departments to make our programs fun and valuable,” O’Connell said. The student staff are off-campus and commuter students and the office has Commuter Ambassadors who provide very specific input.  

The past two events were a Dairy Bar ice cream celebration and viewing a car maintenance demonstration. Today, commuters can have lunch with the UConn Fire Department while learning about fire safety. Thursday, commuters will be able to get a free breakfast sandwich. Friday, commuters can find Hugo the Hippo for a prize.  

This year’s Commuter Appreciation Weeks are Oct. 7 – 11 and April 6 – 20, 2020.  

Kimberly Nguyen is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.