‘Nancy Drew’ season premiere is a sultry twist on the old classic  

0
1
exc-5d9fd46a1604cb7ecda5f60e

Everyone’s favorite teen sleuth has gotten an update with The CW’s new show “Nancy Drew,” which aired Wednesday. With inspiration taken from “Riverdale” and “Veronica Mars,” the new take on the Carolyn Keene novels strips Nancy (Kennedy McMann) of her goody-two-shoes reputation and replaces it with a more adult approach.  

Season one episode one is an introduction to Nancy’s current situation, which is in between a rock and a hard place. After experiencing her mother’s death, building resentment towards her father Carson Drew (Scott Wolf), and being denied from her dream school, Nancy is forced to spend a gap year working at Horseshoe Bay’s seafood joint The Claw.  

There, she meets the main gang of characters: Bess Marvin (Maddison Jaizani), a rich city girl; George Fan (Leah Lewis), a town screw up; Ned ‘Nick’ Nickerson, an ex-con; and Ace (Alex Saxon), a burnout. It’s not long until the gang finds themselves stumbling upon a mystery: Nancy witnesses the murder of Tiffany Hudson during her shift at The Claw. Since Nancy and her gang don’t have a credible alibi, they too are considered suspects in the investigation. Oh and one more thing: In a plight of discouragement, Nancy has banned herself from solving mysteries. Perfect timing, right? 

Although Nancy and her friends have solved many mysteries over the years, this one has many refreshing aspects to it. Alongside Nancy’s new snarky comments and scandalous behavior (such as hooking up with mechanic Nick in one scene) this series hints at real paranormal behaviors rather than villains pretending to be ghosts . In addition to Hudson’s murder, there’s also the murder of Lucy “Dead Lucy” Sable, who is not only haunting Nancy’s town but also may be connected to the murder of Hudson.  

What makes this adaptation authentic to the originals, especially for a big fan such as myself, is that McMann almost seems as if she was born for the role. McMann is a recent graduate of Carnegie Mellon University’s School of Drama, and has grown up playing both the CD-ROM games and reading the books. During an interview with Cosmopolitan, McMann admitted that she was so certain of her love for Nancy Drew that she didn’t need to prepare for the role. 

“I intentionally did not re-read them because I was confident in the history that I had with the character, and I felt like I knew her really well,” McMann said. “I feel like I wanted to just be true and dedicate myself to the Nancy that we were creating, with all the knowledge that I already had to back up the historical relevance of her traits and things like that.”  

Whether you’re a new fan or an old one, The CW’s “Nancy Drew” is thrilling, emotional, raunchy, and angsty in all the right ways. Although this series strays from Nancy’s original innocent appeal, it still obeys her strong-willed and charismatic personality that inspired women and girls for years, with more to come.  

Rating 4.5/5  

Caroline LeCour is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at caroline.lecour@uconn.edu.