UConn takes a stand against student food insecurity 

0
0

The program has been making great progress, and the first day to raise money for the UConn Swipes Initiative is going to be held on Oct. 16. From 4:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. on the 16th, all eight dining halls will be accepting flex pass donations.  Photo by Charlotte Lao / Photo Editor / The Daily Campus

The program has been making great progress, and the first day to raise money for the UConn Swipes Initiative is going to be held on Oct. 16. From 4:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. on the 16th, all eight dining halls will be accepting flex pass donations. Photo by Charlotte Lao / Photo Editor / The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut is working with Swipe Out Hunger to limit food insecurity both on campus and in the surrounding areas. 

As defined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, food insecurity is a lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life. Swipe Out Hunger is an organization that looks to end this issue on college and university campuses, and UConn is joining its ranks. 

The discussions about integrating this program began last spring, and the plan is currently being integrated for students in need. The program has been making great progress, and the first day to raise money for the UConn Swipes Initiative is going to be held on Oct. 16. 

From 4:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. on the 16th, all eight dining halls will be accepting flex pass donations. Students who swipe in and donate a flex pass contribute $2.50 that will be divided amongst three causes: the UConn Swipes Initiative, the Willimantic No Freeze Shelter and the Covenant Soup Shelter. Additionally, another day of donations will be held on Dec. 4 with 100% of the proceeds going to the UConn Swipes Initiative. 

Any student interested in applying to this program should visit the Dean of Students Office in Wilbur Cross room 203 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. during the week or should contact 860-486-3426 if they need to schedule a meeting outside this time. Additionally, students can be referred to this program. 

When the program was first introduced last spring, it managed to raise $4,302 for the UConn Swipes Initiative, but a goal has been set to double that number. Students with spare flex passes are encouraged to donate. 

Additionally, students interested in donating more than a flex pass can donate to the Student First Fund donations page. The Fund was created for students who are facing unanticipated hardship and is supported by private donations, so any support directly impacts the future of it. 

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.