Women’s Volleyball: Tough weekend at home for the Huskies

0
26

UConn loses to Cincinnati 0-3.  Photos by Kortney Drew/The Daily Campus

UConn loses to Cincinnati 0-3. Photos by Kortney Drew/The Daily Campus

UConn women’s volleyball team experienced a tough weekend in conference play. The Cincinnati Bearcats and ECU had a clean sweep on the Huskies. With both games being at Gampel Pavilion, the home crowd wasn’t enough. 

UConn women’s volleyball (8-10, 2-4 The American) fought hard against the University of Cincinnati (14-4, 6-0 The American). In the first set, they Huskies continuously brought the set points close in range, coming as close as one point, 12-11, which was attained with the help of Caylee Parker who had the kill that assisted the Huskies in bringing them in such close range. Following such a play, the Bearcats went on a five point run, giving the Huskies no more room to catch up. By the time the second set came around, the Bearcats went on a 5-0 and 6-0 run, which was unstoppable for the Huskies’ defense. Despite their attempt to fight their way back with a 3-0 run, the Huskies weren’t enough to hold off the Bearcats. 

042.JPG

The first two sets for the Huskies ended with the same results, a 25-14 winning deficit, while the final set ended in a score of 25-20. Cincinnati’s Jordan Thompson, Maria Mallon, Adria Oliver and Karoline Fauske all had kills that assisted in putting the Bearcats on top. Kennadie Jake-Turner tried to help the Huskies fight their way back with five kills of her own alongside Genna Florig, who had four kills and three digs.  

After this battle against the Huskies, the Bearcats advanced with an undefeated status in conference play, losing only one set in conference competition.  

As the Huskies finished off the weekend playing ECU (14-5, 2-4 The American), they started with a lot of fight and started the way that they ended the final set against the Bearcats, with a score of 25-20. Jasmine Davis led the team with kills, yet the Huskies had 23 attacking errors, as well as attained less digs that ECU, which is crucial to attacking kills. ECU was up on the Huskies in digs 59-55. The Huskies kept it close and never let up in this competition. Their loss doesn’t leave them hopeless, in fact they are currently tied with ECU in third for the AAC East Division.  

The Huskies will be heading on the road to face the University of Memphis next. 

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu.