Investigations opened into racist incident outside Charter Oak Apartments 

0
0
exc-5da6683405344470bb601362

Video courtesy of WTNH.com

Investigations have been opened at the University of Connecticut after three students were filmed using racial slurs Friday morning. 

The video shows three white students saying the n-word and laughing outside the open windows of black students’ apartments in the Charter Oak Apartment complex. UConn Police are investigating the incident and an administrative investigation is also underway, university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. 

“UConn is taking this very seriously, and believes strongly that everyone on our campuses deserves to feel safe, valued and respected at all times,” Reitz said. 

The incident is being reviewed and handled as part of UConn’s Bias Incident Protocol, Reitz said, which brings together groups and departments such as the UConn Police Department, the Dean of Students Office, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and the Office of Institutional Equity to review and address such incidents. 

A meeting will be held tonight at 7 p.m. in the Charter Oak Community Center to discuss the impact of the incident and how to promote an environment of productive dialogue in which individuals and groups of people aren’t hurt or harmed, an email from Beth Helinski, Charter Oak Apartments hall director, said. 

“I hope that the people responsible for this behavior will choose to make a different decision in the future,” Helinski’s email to residents of Charter Oak Apartments and Busby Suites said. 

Thumbnail screenshot from video

Gabriella DeBenedictis is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.