Halloweekend party preparation 

0
1

Make sure to buy some decals or streamers to decorate your front door as a ghoulish greeting for guests, like some cobwebs, jack-o-lanterns or even toilet paper for a mummified look. Deck out the party area with any decorations of your choosing, such as big spiders to go with your cobwebs, fake candelabras and colored string lights.  Photo by NeONBRAND from Unsplash.com

Make sure to buy some decals or streamers to decorate your front door as a ghoulish greeting for guests, like some cobwebs, jack-o-lanterns or even toilet paper for a mummified look. Deck out the party area with any decorations of your choosing, such as big spiders to go with your cobwebs, fake candelabras and colored string lights. Photo by NeONBRAND from Unsplash.com

What is the point of having an amazing Halloween costume if you do not have an equally amazing party to show it off at? The Daily Campus is here to help you plan a party to scare away those midterm blues and enjoy one of the most fun holidays to celebrate with friends in costume. What could be more fun? 

Stick to budget-friendly and dollar store decor 

You might be concerned about your wallet and bank account, right in the thick of the semester. That does not mean you need to sacrifice a fantastically decorated party. Head to your local dollar store (Dollar Tree is my go-to) and hit up the party aisles. There is no doubt they will be stocked to the brim with a plethora of Halloween decorations to choose from.  

Make sure to buy some decals or streamers to decorate your front door as a ghoulish greeting for guests, like some cobwebs, jack-o-lanterns or even toilet paper for a mummified look. Deck out the party area with any decorations of your choosing, such as big spiders to go with your cobwebs, fake candelabras and colored string lights. 

Plan activities, movies and contests 

This is not just any old holiday — there is so much to go with the Halloween theme that you cannot ignore all the fun activities to elevate your party. Plan old-school fall activities like bobbing for apples (set it up outside or in a garage if you don’t want your floor to get wet) or some spookier ones like a murder mystery or a game of mafia. 

If the place where you are hosting is big enough for a party, you probably have a TV. Set up a movie or two to play in the background for those who wish to watch. Choose a fun film, like “Halloweentown,” and then play a scarier one like “The Conjuring” for those not faint of heart. If you have a projector, make use of it! 

Invite guests to get creative with their costumes and plan a costume contest. You or other unbiased friends can judge it and chip in for prizes. To include more winners in the fun, you can even judge based on categories such as couple costumes, most creative, cutest or scariest. 

Eerie Eats: Candy, chocolate and snacks 

If your party is around dinnertime, turn it into a potluck and have a feast with your friends. Make sure to have guests let you what they are bringing ahead of time so you have a diverse array of foods. These do not have to be entrees. Guests can bring snacks like dips, finger-food appetizers or desserts which will definitely be enough to fill you up. There are tons of fun Halloween treats to whip up for your feast, like a spiderweb cake, bloody red velvet cake or Rice Krispie Treat mummies. Include classic fall foods like hot apple cider, caramel apples and pumpkin or apple pie as well. 

And don’t forget to save space for the most important part of the holiday, the treats! Ask people to R.S.V.P. with their favorite candies and chocolates so you have a good mix for everybody. (KitKats and Snickers are the best.) 

Provide for photos 

You will want to capture the fun and everyone’s cool costumes with pictures. Set up a dedicated area for party guests to divulge in a photoshoot. Hang up a themed backdrop with splattered (fake) blood, or keep it simple so the focus can stay on the costumes. Have some electric candles around for mood lighting and include fun props like skulls, masks or glasses. Buy some disposable cameras or use a Polaroid camera for a vintage vibe.

Hollie Lao is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.