Husky on the Road: Seeking serenity at Diana’s Pool  

0
1
exc-5daf9d38601361685ebc202a

Only 20 minutes from Storrs, in Chaplin, CT, is Diana’s Pool: A nature hike up to a small, but nonetheless stunning waterfall.  Photo provided by author

Only 20 minutes from Storrs, in Chaplin, CT, is Diana’s Pool: A nature hike up to a small, but nonetheless stunning waterfall. Photo provided by author

Atop one of the grand rocky cliffs overlooking Diana’s Pool, the chaos of campus life seemingly disappears, like mist rising from the waterfall. Closing my eyes, I can hear nothing but the trickling stream below and the birds somewhere high up above. I have found a moment of bliss.  

This semester has been hectic. Many students at UConn find themselves overcome with grades, projects and the stress of social life. So, on this particular Saturday, I sought serenity. Only 20 minutes from Storrs, in Chaplin, CT, is Diana’s Pool: A nature hike up to a small, but nonetheless stunning waterfall.  

Traveling as a college student is tough, but I am reminded one need not go far to truly get away. The walk itself is only a short climb to a rocky perch. I stopped, taking on a seat on the edge with a perfect view of the little natural wonders.  

Mindfulness is a concept that is prevalently talked about, yet still somewhat daunting and foreign-sounding. How does one truly become mindful of the world around them? Is it as simple as taking a quiet walk or studying a waterfall? The answer is still unclear to me, but at Diana’s Pool, I found serenity.  

I was not the only one enjoying the sights and sounds; many four legged friends and their owners also came to explore the trail. Perhaps even Jonathan himself has visited before.  

Continuing on, I trekked down to the water’s edge. Rolling up my jeans, I hopped from one stone to the next. Mesmerized, I looked around. I was completely surrounded by water, like a sandcastle in the middle of a mote. The breeze was gentle, whispering soft sounds of peace.  

This is a nice reminder of one reason why we as a society travel: To breathe in new air and find new perspective.  

If you take the drive to Diana’s Pool, I encourage you to put away your phone, turn off the music and simply listen. It is amazing what the world is telling those who take notice.  

Kate Luongo is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kate.luongo@uconn.edu.