A Novel Idea: New novels in November

0
0

There are a few books peppered here and there in September and October, but the big name books have always had release dates in November, robbing me of my money and time right after midterms. Let’s see what books coming out next month you should add to your reading list.  Photo by Ksenia Makagonova from Unsplash.com

There are a few books peppered here and there in September and October, but the big name books have always had release dates in November, robbing me of my money and time right after midterms. Let’s see what books coming out next month you should add to your reading list. Photo by Ksenia Makagonova from Unsplash.com

For some reason, A-list authors always tend to release their books in November. There are a few books peppered here and there in September and October, but the big name books have always had release dates in November, robbing me of my money and time right after midterms. Let’s see what books coming out next month you should add to your reading list. I’m guilty of pre-ordering at least two of these novels (coming out on the same day!) so at least I had already spent that money a few months ago and will have something to look forward to in the coming weeks. 

“The Queen of Nothing” by Holly Black (Nov. 19) 

Luckily for fans, this highly-anticipated finale to the “Folk of Air” trilogy is coming a few months earlier than expected. When Black announced in the summer that the release date for the book, originally in January 2020, was getting pushed up to its current fall date, fans were ecstatic. Not to spoil the series for those who haven’t picked up the previous two books — which I finally read this summer — but “The Wicked King” ends with a whirlwind cliffhanger even more suspenseful than its predecessor, “The Cruel Prince.” 

“The Queen of Nothing” actually tops the Goodreads list of “Most Popular Books Published in 2019,” so be sure to pick up the first part of the trilogy to catch up with the protagonist, human Jude, as she is forced to navigate the politics and intrigue of the Faerie World. 

“Call Down the Hawk” by Maggie Stiefvater (Nov. 5) 

Alright, I know the cover for this book is pretty ugly, but that’s why I ordered the special edition book box that Owlcrate released for the first of Stiefvater’s companion trilogy to “The Raven Cycle.” The book box is supposed to have a different book cover (besides it being a signed copy!) along with a bunch of other fall goodies, so I can only hope that it was money well spent. Knowing Stiefvater, it probably was. I guess I’ll need to finally finish “The Raven King” to prepare. 

This opener to the aptly named “Dreamer Trilogy” follows our resident dreamer from the original series, Ronan Lynch, who can pull the impossible and desired out of his own dreams into reality. People know of the existence of others like him and will do anything to possess that kind of power. 

“Supernova” by Marissa Meyer (Nov. 5) 

Another series finale, but this one comes out the same day as “Call Down the Hawk.” And okay, you’ve got me, I might have pre-ordered this book too. Part of the pre-order offer was getting my name printed in the paperback copy of the second book, “Archenemies,” so how could I resist? 

The “Renegades” trilogy takes secret identities to the next level in this superhero/villain society as protagonists Nova and Adrian fall in love with each other’s civilian identities but have conflicting alliances as renegades and anarchists. They’ve managed to keep up their appearances for the past two books, but their identity reveals will surely to be dramatic in this finale. 

“The Starless Sea” by Erin Morgenstern (Nov. 5) 

Okay, I actually didn’t know that this book was also coming out on Nov. 5th, but see what I mean? It’s like all the publishers decided to release their books on the same day just to occupy my time. And they’re probably going to succeed. 

This is Morgenstern’s second book released since the wildly successful “The Night Circus,” a euphoric exploration into a magical circus that serves as the backdrop for a continuous competition between magicians, authored with rich prose and whimsical descriptions. “The Starless Sea” promises the same elegant writing and a similarly fantastical premise, described as a “timeless love story in a secret underground world [with] pirates, painters, lovers, liars and ships that sail upon a starless sea,” according to the book’s synopsis. 

Other books coming out in November that you should spend your money on: “Blood Heir” by Amelie Wen Zhao, “Starsight” by Brandon Sanderson, “The Guinevere Deception” by Kiersten White, “Queenie” by Candice Carty-Williams and “The Toll” by Neal Shusterman 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.