In Case You Missed It: What happened this week in national news

0
0
exc-5db25ed92b81d71f22375861

A banner that reads 'Brexit proof' is on a security fence as a truck passes through a scanning tunnel at the Port of Zeebrugge, in Zeebrugge, Belgium, Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019. British police raided two sites in Northern Ireland and questioned a truck driver as they investigate the deaths of 39 people found in a truck container that they believe came from Zeebrugge and was then found at an industrial park in southeastern England.  (AP Photo/Olivier Matthys)

A banner that reads ‘Brexit proof’ is on a security fence as a truck passes through a scanning tunnel at the Port of Zeebrugge, in Zeebrugge, Belgium, Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019. British police raided two sites in Northern Ireland and questioned a truck driver as they investigate the deaths of 39 people found in a truck container that they believe came from Zeebrugge and was then found at an industrial park in southeastern England. (AP Photo/Olivier Matthys)

Essex Truck Discovery 

On Wednesday, police in Grays, United Kingdom discovered 39 bodies, including one of a teenager, stuffed inside a refrigerated truck container inside Watergate Industrial Park. The driver of the truck, Morris Robinson, hails from Northern Ireland and was arrested on the suspicion of murder. All of the victims are believed to be Chinese nationals: Eight women and 31 men. Police have begun to move the bodies to a mortuary at a hospital in Chelmsford, just northeast of London. The causes of their deaths are still unclear, and an investigation is underway.  

Elijiah Cummings’ Funeral  

Historical civil rights activist and democratic congressman Elijiah Cummings will be laid to rest today at 10 a.m. EST at New Psalmist Baptist Church in Baltimore, Maryland, where Cummings worshipped for over 40 years. He was laid in state yesterday at the United States Capitol as mourners came to pay their respects. Cummings passed away on Oct. 17 at a hospice center affiliated with Johns Hopkins University due to “complications concerning long-standing health challenges,” his office said. Former presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton as well as former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi are expected to speak. Cummings will be buried at Loudon Park Cemetery in Baltimore.  

Mark Zuckerberg Testimony 

The CEO and founder of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, appeared before the House Financial Services Committee on Wednesday to testify about Libra, the company’s cryptocurrency which is temporarily slated to launch in 2020. Zuckerberg maintained the Libra Association is a separate non-profit organization in charge of the currency, and if they launched the currency without United States regulatory approval, Facebook would be forced to leave the organization. Libra was created as a global digital currency that will superpass any digital payments system developed by competitors like China, Zuckerberg added. In the six-hour testimony, Zuckerberg was met with opposition from lawmakers who questioned Facebook’s ability to remain independent from the organization as well as the workings of the cryptocurrency.  

Colorado Border Wall 

While speaking about the border wall at the Shale Insight Conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, President Trump said, “We’re building a wall in Colorado,” even though Colorado does not border Mexico and instead lies above the border state of New Mexico. On Wednesday night, Colorado governor Jared Polis fired back on the comment on Twitter, writing, “Well this is awkward… Colorado doesn’t border Mexico. Good thing Colorado now offers free full day kindergarten so our kids can learn basic geography.” Later that night, Trump said on Twitter that he was kidding, writing, “‘(Kiddingly) We’re building a Wall in Colorado’(then stated, ‘we’re not building a Wall in Kansas but they get the benefit of the Wall we’re building on the Border’) referred to people in the very packed auditorium, from Colorado & Kansas, getting the benefit of the Border Wall!” 

California Wildfires 

Firefighters in Sonoma and San Bernardino counties in California are trying to contain numerous wildfires that have spread across the region, including the 10,000-acre Kincade Fire that continues to burn with no contaiment near the small town of Geyersville. The Old Water Fire, which started as a small brush fire at 2 a.m. PST on Thursday in San Bernardino, has grown significantly in size and has prompted evacuations in the area as well. The San Francisco Bay area is expected to see smoke from the fires as early as tomorrow.  

Taylor Harton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.