Music Release Catch Up: What you missed last week

0
1
exc-5db7931b9f0f297157388c5d

This weekend was filled with new music releases. Lizzo and Ariana Grande released their first collaboration. Artists such as The 1975, Selena Gomez and Louis Tomlinson also released new music this past weekend.  Photo by     Jessica Lewis     from     Pexels

This weekend was filled with new music releases. Lizzo and Ariana Grande released their first collaboration. Artists such as The 1975, Selena Gomez and Louis Tomlinson also released new music this past weekend. Photo by Jessica Lewis from Pexels

In case you missed it, the weekend of Oct. 24 was filled with new music releases from artists such as The 1975, Lizzo, Ariana Grande, Louis Tomlinson and Selena Gomez.  

The 1975 released another single  “Frail State Of Mind” on Thursday Oct. 24, from their upcoming album “Notes On A Conditional Form” that is expected to be released Feb. 21. This song is heavily autotuned and carries an entirely different vibe than their previous single “People.”  “Frail State Of Mind” is a soft and intimate song about the frontman Matty Healy’s social anxiety. The song also references their song “TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME” from their previous album “A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships,” with similar melodies.   

Artists face their challenges, such as mental illness or heart break, in a more high profile way because of the nature of their careers. Selena Gomez is no stranger to opening up publicly about her personal life, especially after her long term relationship with pop star Justin Bieber. Gomez released “Lose You To Love Me” on Oct. 23 along with “Look At Her Now” on Oct. 24. Both of her new releases address the heartbreak that was inevitably linked to her breakup with Bieber and the way she’s moved on. They both have similar themes in the lyrics but “Lose You To Love Me” is a ballad while “Look At Her Now” is an energized, fast paced and catchy pop song that sounds like it could be played at a dance club.  

Yet another love-inspired song was released by former One Direction member Louis Tomlinson on Oct. 24, “We Made It.” The song is about a girlfriend that he’s been through a lot of hardships with. The song is catchy and repetitive, but is still relatable to people in long term relationships or any relationship that survived a tribulation.  

In contrast, R&B artist Lizzo released a remix of her fun, hit song “Good as Hell,” that features Ariana Grande. Until this point, Grande had been pretty musically quiet since her release of “Thank u, next.” She brings her iconic vocals to the track, as well as harmonization with Lizzo. Lizzo embodies soulfulness with her music and Grande’s soft yet soulful vocals pair perfectly.  

New music can sometimes happen all at once and this is one of those times. As you can see most of the release dates were around Oct. 24 and featured big names in the music industry. It could be a coincidence, but it isn’t likely since release dates are planned by corporate labels based on the projection of the day and time that will result in the best possible traction. Regardless, Oct. 24 was filled with big names and heart-clenching releases that will flood the radio stations within the next week because they’re all great records. 

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.