HomeLifeMelissa’s Menu: Halloween layered dip

Melissa’s Menu: Halloween layered dip

What better way to be festive for Halloween than by making a spooky appetizer? This week’s recipe is perfect for a Halloween party with friends or even just to enjoy on your own — Halloween layered dip. This dip consists of layers of refried beans, salsa and guacamole. The dip gets its spooky flair from a sour cream spider web pattern on top that is actually simple to make. This recipe is really easy to throw together and requires minimal preparation, but is delicious and fun to make. If you’re feeling extra creative, use any leftover olives to create a spider for the middle of your web.  

Ingredients  

16 oz. of refried beans (1 can) 

½ cup of salsa 

Halloween layered dip consists of beans, salsa, guacamole, and is perfect for a Halloween party.  Photo courtesy of    Tasty

Halloween layered dip consists of beans, salsa, guacamole, and is perfect for a Halloween party. Photo courtesy of Tasty

½ cup of sour cream 

1 cup of guacamole 

Lettuce 

Tomato 

¼ cup of black olives 

Tortilla chips, to serve 

Directions 

In a bowl, mix the beans and salsa. Put the sour cream in a plastic bag. Cut off the end of one corner of the bag. Spread the bean mixture onto a plate. Spread guacamole over the beans. 

Pipe out a bullseye pattern of sour cream over the guacamole. Run a toothpick through the sour cream from the center outward, until it looks like a spiderweb. Garnish with lettuce, chopped tomatoes and black olives. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy! 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.