Husky On the Road: A walk on the High Line  

0
4

The High Line is a public park build on an old rail-line running from 34th St Hudson Yards through Chelsea and ending at the Whitney Museum. The High Line is a free, yes free, fun way to explore New York City.   Photos by Avery Bikerman / The Daily Campus

The High Line is a public park build on an old rail-line running from 34th St Hudson Yards through Chelsea and ending at the Whitney Museum. The High Line is a free, yes free, fun way to explore New York City.

Photos by Avery Bikerman / The Daily Campus

I am a city dweller of sorts. As much as I love the suburbs of my small Connecticut town and Horsebarn Hill, I feel at home on the subway and thrive walking fast.  

I love finding hidden gems, quiet patches, spontaneous gardens or even a park in the sky. One of my favorite places to visit in the city is the High Line.  

The High Line is a free, yes free, fun way to explore New York City. As a college student, I am always looking for fun, inexpensive travel opportunities and this was the perfect weekend  activity.  

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the relatively new addition to the West Village, the High Line is a public park built from an old railroad running 2.3 km long. The elevated tracks were built in 1934 as a way to improve safety and traffic flow. In 2009, the first part of the High Line was completed and opened for the enjoyment of the community. Since then, the High Line  has continued to expand and grow with more fun attractions.  

Today, the High Line is a place for runners, yogis, artists and children to play over the bustling city streets.  

One can also experience a culinary adventure by simply taking a walk through this “park.” Underneath the covered bridge, vendors sell delights ranging from Mexican popsicles to German street food and unique baos.  

Evident from the presence of many DSLR lenses, the views are great and many couples and friends will stop to take a photo together.  

Don’t be fooled by the amount of tourists; locals enjoy the High Line too. It’s a great place to get in a morning workout or simply take a scenic route through the West Side. The High Line also features events such as meditation, performances and star-gazing.  

Looking over the city streets, I relish a spot of serenity found in the hustle and bustle of New York. The next time you’re in the city, try walking above the streets and don’t forget to buy a cup of gelato along the way.  

Photos courtesy @highlinenyc Instagram

Kate Luongo is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kate.luongo@uconn.edu.