Women’s Soccer Notebook: Seniors recognized on senior night

0
3

UConn Women's soccer host Temple University at Dillion Stadium for senior night.  Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

UConn Women’s soccer host Temple University at Dillion Stadium for senior night. Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

Before a heartbreaking and controversial call ended UConn’s season on Thursday, the six seniors on the women’s soccer team were honored for their contributions to the program in a pregame senior night ceremony. 

Sofia Leone, Vivien Beil, Alanna Moore, Regan Schiappa, Alexa Casimiro and Shay Nakahira all heard their names called and had their careers celebrated with various family members. 

Leone is a midfielder from Bay Shore, New York. She originally walked on to the team as a freshman but since has become a vital part of the team, playing in 48 games and making 27 starts. She made two goals and two assists in her UConn career. Both goals have come in her senior season, and her second actually came on Thursday in the 1-1 tie against Temple. 

On the other side of that goal was Beil, another senior midfielder, who connected with Leone for her first assist of the season. Beil is a native of Jena, Germany and transferred to UConn from the University of Maine in 2017. That season, she led the Huskies with six goals and six assists for 18 points and earned a spot on the All-American Athletic Conference Second Team.  

Beil missed the entire 2018 season with a torn ACL but came back as a graduate student this season to play out her final year of eligibility as a captain of the Huskies. Overall, in her two seasons at UConn, she started all 32 games she played and registered seven goals and seven assists. 

It was their last home game of the season. The game ended with a tie in double overtime.  Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

It was their last home game of the season. The game ended with a tie in double overtime. Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

Moore is one of the captains of this UConn team and a native of Oakton, Virginia. She has played in 66 matches and has started 49 of them over her four years. Always a reliable presence and leader on the field, Moore finally recorded her first career point this season with an assist. She was elected to the AAC All-Rookie team in 2016. 

Schiappa is a forward from Windermere, Florida, who is one of the few two-sport athletes at UConn. In addition to her prowess on the soccer pitch, she also competes on the women’s track and field team. In her time at UConn, she played in 61 matches with 20 starts. She has recorded two goals and three assists, with one goal coming this season. 

Casimiro didn’t get to play at all this season with a torn ACL, but in her previous three seasons, she played in 52 games with 21 starts. The Prospect, Connecticut native scored four goals in that time, including one against Albany in the 2016 NCAA Tournament. She elected not to redshirt and come back for a fifth year and will graduate with a nursing degree in May. 

Finally, Nakahira played the least of any of the six, appearing in 18 games in her four years, including Thursday. However, she was always a solid teammate both on and off the field. She had a very far journey to UConn, coming all the way from Mililani, Hawaii. 

In addition to the six players, senior team manager Kevin Alwell also received recognition before the game. He worked with the team for the last three seasons.  

The members of this senior class who were not recognized include midfielder Erin Spillane and goalkeeper Randi Palacios. Both players have used redshirt seasons and will be returning to the field next season for their final years. 

Danny Barletta is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu. He tweets @dbars_12.