Men’s soccer falls at SMU

0
3

UConn men's soccer team hosts #11 seed UCF at Dillion Stadium. UCF scored their game winner just a few minutes in overtime.  Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

UConn men’s soccer team hosts #11 seed UCF at Dillion Stadium. UCF scored their game winner just a few minutes in overtime. Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team suffered a 1-0 defeat at the hands of No. 12 SMU on Friday night in Dallas. The loss marked the Huskies- fourth straight.  

The Mustangs (13-1-1 overall, 4-1-1 American) scored the lone goal of the game in just the seventh minute as Knut Ahlander’s corner kick bounded around in the box and eventually found the foot of Henrik Bredelli, who poked it home.  

UConn (4-11-1 overall, 1-5 American) struggled to generate offensive chances as they were largely pinned in their own defensive third by SMU and finished with just two shots on goal. The Mustangs controlled play with a majority of possession and an edge in shots and corner kicks.  

The Huskies nearly equalized in the 51st minute as junior midfielder Dijmon Johnson fired a shot that deflected off the post. The Mustangs had a pair of goals called back in the second half, one due to a foul and one ruled offside. Freshman goalkeeper Marcus Peterkin made his third straight start for UConn and finished with three saves. 

UConn will look to get back on track when they host conference foe Tulsa and celebrate Senior Night on Tuesday at Dillon Stadium at 7 p.m. in Hartford. The Golden Hurricane (4-9-2 overall, 0-5-1 American) are the only team that trails UConn in the American Conference standings and have not won since Oct. 8. The two teams will likely be involved in a low-scoring affair as each squad has scored just twice in their last four games. 

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.