Jorgensen became ‘Pinkalicious’

0
0
exc-5dbf7b6cb039fb192a511142

Pinkalicious the Musical is performed by the Vital Theatre Company in Jorgensen on Sunday, Nov. 3. The musical is based off of the popular children's book by Elizabeth and Victoria Kann.  Photos by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus.

Pinkalicious the Musical is performed by the Vital Theatre Company in Jorgensen on Sunday, Nov. 3. The musical is based off of the popular children’s book by Elizabeth and Victoria Kann. Photos by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus.

Pink-clad toddlers and young children swarmed Jorgensen Sunday wearing crowns on their heads, wielding magic wands and shouting “Pinkalicious!” The famous children’s book by Victoria and Elizabeth Kann came alive onstage as “Pinkalicious the Musical,” with incredible acting and singing on the part of the small cast. 

The play was minimalistic. Its set was just a few reversible structures which could be rearranged to look like the kitchen, Pinkalicious’ bedroom, the park or the doctor’s office by the efforts of just a couple of the actors moving them around. Yet, they were painted in the same cartoon style as the books, and so helped kids easily slip into their familiar Pinkalicious universe. The cast was similarly minimal, with just five actors playing all the characters, almost all of which had to double-up to fill all the roles.  

Despite this minimalism in cast and set, the children didn’t appear phased. They laughed at the actors’ cartoonish gesticulations and speech, yelled out in horror when their hero ate another pink cupcake despite her serious case of Pinkatitus and even cried at times when certain characters fought with each other. The cast made sure to include the young audience, asking them to find Pinkalicious (Dana Bixler) when she ran off in the park and having them remind Pinkalicious to “get what you get and don’t get upset.” 

In fact, this play did a wonderful job incorporating the different lessons children’s books often espouse. Pinkalicious’ parents sang an entire song where they fought with Pinkalicious about having another cupcake, entitled “Just One More / You Get Just What You Get / Cupcake Dream.” When Pinkalicious ignored her parents, she caught Pinkatitus, thus showing kids they shouldn’t hold tantrums and not listen like Pinkalicious had. Pinkalicious also got in fights with both her brother Peter (Dalon Bradley) and her best friend Alison (Taylor Feldman) for not sharing. And, of course, the cure to her Pinkatitus was eating green vegetables, which she found out were actually delicious in her song “Green Food.” 

“We read the books, then watched the show and we have all the books,” Eleni Sgouripsas, a mother from Dudley, Massachusetts, said. “Yeah, I know all the stories of ‘Pinkalicious.’” 

The singing in all of these songs was phenomenal, almost Broadway level. And while that might have gone over the heads of the toddlers in the audience, parents and grandparents accompanying them definitely appreciated it. 

“I thought it was very good,” Shirley Bayusik, a grandmother from Shelton, Connecticut, said. “We’ve read the books, so this was very nice.” 

“She turned pink!” Bayusik’s granddaughter Hailey said. 

The one part of the play that seemed a little silly, which is saying something considering it’s a play about a girl who eats cupcakes and turns pink, was that Pinkalicious’ parents acted like their own love of pink was a big secret. The dad (Alex Schneidman) even yelled at Peter for expressing a fondness for the color. And yes, his eventual admittance for his own love of pink is meant to show there is nothing emasculating or youth-centric about pink. But for goodness sake! He and his wife (Cassandra Nary) named their daughter Pinkalicious! It’s the name they mutually agreed to put on her birth certificate. How would their love of pink not have come up in that conversation? 

All in all, it was a very enjoyable musical and definitely worth buying the album for those with small children.

Rebecca Maher is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.