Multiple Huskies named All-AAC as cross country has strong showing in Memphis

0
0
exc-5dbf6b2ab039fb192a4fb5d2

Part of the girls cross country team practices on the track to improve their speed. Many of the athletes in cross country continue their season into track and field.  Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

Part of the girls cross country team practices on the track to improve their speed. Many of the athletes in cross country continue their season into track and field. Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s and women’s cross country teams competed at the American Athletic Conference Championship in Memphis on Friday. The men placed third, while the women finished fourth. Tulsa swept silverware in both categories to win their sixth-straight AAC title. 

For the men, junior Eric Van Der Els and sophomore Will Brisman earned All-AAC honors; both were the Huskies’ top finishers, claiming personal bests at the event. Van Der Els placed eighth with a time of 24:25, and Brisman finished 14th, running the course in 24:33. 

Moreover, sophomore James Maniscalco completed his best-ever time at the race, coming in third for the Huskies and 20th overall with a time of 24:54. 

“We were really aggressive, probably the most of any team in the race,” men’s head coach Greg Roy told UConn Athletics. 

Freshmen Kabir Chavan and Angel Vicioso had strong showings as well. Both rounded out the top five, with Chavan placing 30th and running the course in 25:24; Vicioso finished 38th with a 25:45. 

“We were right there and really competed. I am really proud of the way we went after it. I was really, really pleased,” Roy said. 

On the women’s side, Mia Nahom once again was the Huskies’ top finisher, placing fourth overall and obtaining All-AAC honors with a 20:46.  

“Mia has consistently been up front and the real leader of the team. Always fighting for the top spot, always solid,” women’s head coach Lindsey Crevoiserat told UConn Athletics. “She gives us some leadership and great consistency that the rest of the team can follow.”  

The Huskies’ second and third finishers were sophomore Randi Burr and senior Danielle Jordan. Burr finished 21st overall with a 21:31, while Jordan placed 23rd, setting a personal best of 21:35. 

Rounding out the top five for the women were sophomores Celia Chacko and Kate Delay. Chacko finished fourth for the Huskies and 24th overall with a 21:37; Delay came in fifth for the Huskies, placing 28th overall and obtaining a 21:47. 

“Our team definitely made an improvement from last year at conference,” Burr said. “We are still working to get to where we want to be, but the race was a great learning experience for all of us.” 

Both teams now look to ready themselves for the Northeast Regional Championship on Nov. 15 in Buffalo, New York. 

Sebastian Garay-Ortega is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at sebastian.garay-ortega@uconn.edu. He tweets @sebastian__305.