Get out and vote!

0
1

Everyone who is able to do so should execute their right to vote, including college students at UConn. Many people believe their vote is insignificant but as the saying goes “every vote count.”  Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash.

Everyone who is able to do so should execute their right to vote, including college students at UConn. Many people believe their vote is insignificant but as the saying goes “every vote count.” Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash.

Today is Nov. 5, 2019, and it is not just any ordinary Tuesday; it’s Election Day. 

Although it’s not a midterm election or a presidential election year, it is still immensely important to go out and vote if you are an American citizen over the age of 18. Voting is a civic duty, and it does have an effect on the town. 

Voting is an opportunity for people to voice their opinions and help create change, if they so desire. Even for municipal elections, cities and towns decide on who will make certain decisions for the town. Some people up for election in municipal elections include the mayor of First Selectman, Board of Education members, treasurer, council members as well as many more people who make the important decisions that affect the town or city. Sometimes, there are other referendum questions on the ballot. For example, those who vote in Mansfield will vote for or against constructing a net-zero school in Mansfield.

Several options are offered for those who are and are not registered to vote.  Photo by Arnaud Jaegers on Unsplash

Several options are offered for those who are and are not registered to vote. Photo by Arnaud Jaegers on Unsplash

By voting, all citizens get to be a part of the decision-making process. It is the civic duty of every citizen to vote, and everyone who is able to should exercise this right. This includes students at the University of Connecticut. 

For students who are not registered to vote, the state of Connecticut does offer Election Day registration, meaning that those who are eligible can register to vote today itself, as long as they register before 8 p.m. For those who are registered but cannot make it to the polling place, there are absentee ballots available, as well as options to switch polling places if this is more convenient. This is quite simple to do, as there are many options to do this online as well as over the phone.

Everyone who is eligible to vote should do so. After all, voting is an easy way to make your voice heard and make change happen. 

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by individual writers in the opinion section do not reflect the views and opinions of The Daily Campus or other staff members. Only articles labeled “Editorial” are the official opinions of The Daily Campus.