Grad Beat: December graduates have a lot to look forward to 

0
0
exc-5dc21cbbdf7fe8296d768107

University of Connecticut students who will be graduating at the end of fall 2019 semester, December graduates, should be all set for graduation, Carl Rivers, assistant registrar from the Office of the Registrar, said.  Photo by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus

University of Connecticut students who will be graduating at the end of fall 2019 semester, December graduates, should be all set for graduation, Carl Rivers, assistant registrar from the Office of the Registrar, said. Photo by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus

University of Connecticut students who will be graduating at the end of fall 2019 semester, December graduates, should be all set for graduation, Carl Rivers, assistant registrar from the Office of the Registrar, said.  

All December graduates should have already applied and submitted their final plan of study, Rivers said. If they have not done so, they can contact the Degree Audit Office to process their application since it is closed in Student Admin.  

“As long as they have applied and submitted their plan(s) of study, [they should be] focusing on successfully completing their courses,” Rivers said. “Our office is actively reviewing all December graduation candidate records and will send a confirmation email once an audit has been completed.  If a student has not heard by the beginning of December, they should contact the Degree Audit Office.”  

December graduates should double check that their name and address is spelled correctly in Student Admin before the end of the semester, Rivers said. This makes sure that diplomas are printed and mailed correctly.  

The only commencement ceremony will be in May, Rivers said. Graduates from summer 2019, fall 2019, spring 2020 and summer 2020 will be invited to attend. Tickets and regalia for graduation are not available yet.  

Since there is not a specific commencement for December graduates, UConn Senior has three big events planned for the end of the semester highlighting these graduates, Jessica Sokol, Student Alumni Association advisor, said.  

“Whether it takes seven, eight, nine or more semesters to earn your degree, your college journey is always worth celebrating,” Sokol said. “So, we’ve started offering more December grad-focused events to make sure this group of students understands the importance of what they’ve accomplished, and that they feel like they’re given a true send-off into post-graduate life.”   

The UConn Senior events are “December Grads Trivia Night,” “December Grads Rock Painting” and “December Grads Toast,” Sokol said.  

The “December Grads Trivia Night” will be Wednesday, Nov. 20 from 5 to 7 p.m. at The Hop Knot Storrs. Trivia teams of two to four people, including at least one December graduate, can compete in UConn-theme trivia for a chance to win a grand prize, Sokol said. Admission is $10 per person and it is for ages 21 and older.  

The “December Grads Rock Painting” will be  Friday, Dec. 6 from 10 to 11 a.m. at the Spirit Rock where students can help paint the rock.                                

The “December Grads Toast” will be Friday, Dec. 6 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. at the Alumni Center. All attendees will get a commemorative UConn Alumni toasting glass with sparkling cider, Sokol said.  

Sokol said that these events help the December graduates feel honored for their accomplishments as a community.  

“Some offices, organizations and departments recognize their December graduates, but there are no overall events for the entire December graduate community on campus,” Sokol said. “These students are just as important as any other graduating student on campus; whether you graduate in May, August or December, you’re a Husky forever and a member of our alumni family.” 

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.