HomeNewsMansfield recognized as one of Connecticut’s most sustainable cities

Mansfield recognized as one of Connecticut’s most sustainable cities

The town of Mansfield was recently recognized as one of the most sustainable cities in Connecticut by Sustainable CT, a statewide initiative aiming to help communities become more efficient, resilient and inclusive. 

Mansfield met high standards in a broad range of sustainability accomplishments to qualify for the silver certification it earned, according to a press release from the town. It was awarded the certification at the New Britain Museum of Art on Oct. 30. 

“In its application for Sustainable CT certification, Mansfield demonstrated significant achievements in actions in nine sustainable impact areas ranging from inclusive community building and equity, thriving local economies and vibrant arts and culture to clean transportation and diverse housing,” the press release said.  

Some of the actions that qualified Mansfield for the silver award were the “Taste of Mansfield” campaign that encouraged people to buy locally-grown food, various juried art shows as well as an emphasis on sustainability in the town’s plan of conservation and development, said Virginia Walton, Mansfield’s recycling coordinator.  

Walton said Sustainable CT encourages people to help keep towns as sustainable as possible. 

“Sustainable CT is about motivating local action that translates into statewide impacts,” Walton said. 

Mansfield was one of 47 towns in Connecticut that received the certification, Walton said, and the town is currently attempting to become more sustainable. 

“A variety of activities over the decades have had the thread of sustainability,” Walton said. “A few examples are the development of downtown Storrs as a mixed use, compact district, treating trash and recycling service as a utility, building energy efficiency projects, school composting and the creation of a community center.” 

Mansfield Mayor Paul Shapiro, a Democrat, said in the press release that Mansfield was certified due to its dedication to sustainability.  

“This award is the result of the hard work of Mansfield’s dedicated staff and committed citizens,” Shapiro said. “Our commitment to sustainability reflects what Mansfield stands for, which is a commitment to make our town and our planet better for future generations for the citizens of Mansfield.” 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @tasteofmansfield Instagram.

Anthony Zepperi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anthony.zepperi@uconn.edu.